Dogwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie2

Mar 10, 2014
Georgia
Neat thing happened yesterday. I was sawing the butt off a downed dogwood and I smelled a strong fragrance, it smelled like a mans cologne, very strong. I was bent over the log and raised up, thinking maybe a neighbor had walked up, but no one was there, went back to sawing and again the smell, this time I stood up and looked behind me, still thinking someone had walked up, but nothing. Didn't think anymore about it until today when I was burning a piece and sure enough the same smell rolled out of the firebox when I was reloading. It may be common knowledge, but it was a first for me and quite a treat.

LOL, but I think I will save some of it. Seems to need to be heated for the smell to come out, I'll play around with some of it tomorrow. Might be one of the original sources of incenses.

Haven't noticed that smell yet but Dogwood is awesome, once you get it dry....

Woody, The smell came from the butt section only and there is one other factor I've thought about. The butt section was hollow and the home of carpenter ants. ?? I hope that's not to graphic for the faint of heart.

I've never noticed a smell from dogwood. Great firewood though, if you can split it ;lol

The last bit I had would chip instead of split, it was like trying to split a piece of granite

The butt section was hollow and the home of carpenter ants

What you smelled was the ants most likely. My brother once was doing demo of an old barn and stepped in a nest of ants. Said the smell was so strong you could smell it 15 feet outside the barn. Later realized it was a nest of citronella ants (and yes, it smelled just like the candles only x1000). Many bugs give off very unique smells.

If it were the wood, others would notice it in their dogwood (and you would notice it in other places besides the butt).

My $0.02

I was sawing the butt off a downed dogwood and I smelled a strong fragrance............today when I was burning a piece
This still bothers me......sawing yesterday, burning today........

"Neat thing happened yesterday. I was sawing the butt off a downed dogwood and I smelled a strong fragrance, it smelled like a mans cologne, very strong. I was bent over the log and raised up,..."

I thought you were going to say, "..., turned, and saw a handsome prince." ;lol

What you smelled was the ants most likely. My brother once was doing demo of an old barn and stepped in a nest of ants. Said the smell was so strong you could smell it 15 feet outside the barn. Later realized it was a nest of citronella ants (and yes, it smelled just like the candles only x1000). Many bugs give off very unique smells.

If it were the wood, others would notice it in their dogwood (and you would notice it in other places besides the butt).

My $0.02

This still bothers me......sawing yesterday, burning today........

I'm thinking the ants too, I cut some shavings and lit them this morning and it was just the smell of burning wood.

I didn't think I'd get away with telling that. But in my defense, I did check the moisture with a meter and it was 18%. The log was hollow and elevated off the ground, guess that explains the low readings, there was a place I checked further up the tree that showed 38%, so I understand what you saying.

BigB, Yeah, it was the hardest wood I've ever cut, put a new chain on afterwards.

Dan, Actually, I don't live that far from where they filmed Deliverance, I'll be looking over my shoulder from now on,--- thanks!

I'm thinking the ants too, I cut some shavings and lit them this morning and it was just the smell of burning wood.

I didn't think I'd get away with telling that. But in my defense, I did check the moisture with a meter and it was 18%. The log was hollow and elevated off the ground, guess that explains the low readings, there was a place I checked further up the tree that showed 38%, so I understand what you saying.

BigB, Yeah, it was the hardest wood I've ever cut, put a new chain on afterwards.

Dan, Actually, I don't live that far from where they filmed Deliverance, I'll be looking over my shoulder from now on,--- thanks!

Yeah, and keep an ear open for banjo music!

I don't have much experience drying it so I don't know how long it'll be for 38% Dog to get dry. A couple of years, if the drying rates of other dense woods are any indication. I just know that it doesn't burn for squat when wet.

Well as long as you checked the moisture, you don't have to "get away with it" I burned some cedar last week that I had split earlier in the week. Every split measured 14 - 18%, so down to the carport it went. It just worried me that you were cutting today and burning tomorrow, without a meter. I have a neighbor who is doing that this time of year, every year.

I don't live that far from where they filmed Deliverance, I'll be looking over my shoulder from now on
;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol

Only if it has bark too.

I thought the bark was not the main indicator, but you may be on to something. Last week I threw in a piece of good smelling stuff (though not sure what it is as I bought a few cords of mixed wood).
I smelled this church incense smell, then quickly retrieved it thinking it would be better served in the fire pit around guests. It just took the bark sending up a smoke trail in the house and my wife comes up wandering if I lit incense.

When I cook w/ fruit wood I usually try to remove the bark so I get the essence of the flavor, and not such a bitter experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.