dolmar 6100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
I ran my father in laws 6100 dolmar with a 24in bar yesterday. He runs a full skip tooth chisel (square cutter) chain. It handled it very well for a 60cc saw. I also ran his jonsered 2172 with 20in bar and I was still more impressed with the little dolmar.

Dolmar makes a very good saw. The Makita/Dolmar saws aren't to recognized in some parts of the country and dealer support is sparse. The 6401/6100 is a strong saw for it's displacement but it is quite heavy and bulky for the displacement. I had a 6401 and got rid of it for that reason. The Dolmar 7900 is built on the same chassis, and is quite light/nimble for that class of saw.

Skip chain is great stuff on longer bars. Are you truly using square ground chisel? That is mighty difficult to sharpen by hand or requires a special grinder. Or are you using full chisel round ground?

The 6100 is a different design of saw than the 6400. It isnt heavy or bulky in my opinion and is very balanced. My father in law cuts timber for a living and thats all he uses is skip tooth square cutter chains made by oregon

I stand corrected, the 6100 is a different chassis than the 6400. However the 7900 is only 1.5#'s more with a substantial increase in displacement from 61 to 78.5cc.
http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/chain_saws_gasoline/index.html

How does your father in law maintain his chain. Square tooth chisel is very hard to sharpen by hand unless you really know what you are doing. This has quite a discussion and posts #69,70 & 74 have very good close up pics.
http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/threads/square-filing-chains.5670/

Last edited:
I stand corrected, the 6100 is a different chassis than the 6400. However the 7900 is only 1.5#'s more with a substantial increase in displacement from 61 to 78.5cc.
http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/chain_saws_gasoline/index.html

How does your father in law maintain his chain. Square tooth chisel is very hard to sharpen by hand unless you really know what you are doing. This has quite a discussion and posts #69,70 & 74 have very good close up pics.
He has about all the dolmars through the years including the 7900. Im not saying its bad by any means. I ran it before and its one of the best cutting saws out there. But for using a saw every day he likes the 6100 out of all his saws he's had. He said it doesnt scream like a 7900, its better balanced and a calmer saw to run. He says the 7900's are wild. So does the 6100 out cut the 7900, not so much. But for what it is, it does awesome. The saw handles better. Its a whole different ball game when you are cutting trees down and limbing them versus blocking up for wood. He sharpens his chains by hand too. He has been cutting timber for almost 30yrs. So i think he knows what he is doing. I know a square cutter chain is hard to sharpen because I have no luck sharpening them. I do good with round cutters.

Reactions: redmule
Status
Not open for further replies.