Dolmar PS-6100 and Makita EA6100PRGG-any difference in these saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blueox4

Nov 20, 2017
Syracuse, NY area
I need a new saw primarily for firewood use, bucking, noodling and some felling. I’ve narrowed down to these saws and the Makita is a little more expensive. Wondering if there’s any difference in these other than the color?

Thanks!

I think they're the same. All Dolmar with Makita stickers. I have several of the Dolkita's. Good saws.

Reactions: Blueox4
I have a couple dolmars. They r the same saw and now they are sold in the Dolmar paint labels makita. If it a actual Dolmar branded saw it’s a over a year old see what kind of deal you can get.

Lot of saw for the money. They fit me and feel better than any other brand of saw, at least in my hands, good ergonomics. I put them in a class with the other pro saws. Can't lie, they aren't quite a Stihl pro saw in build quality, but darn close. I've had several of them over the years, and still own 3 of them that wear the blue and grey plastic instead of the red. I prefer the red. I can't seem to kill them, and some of them have been through a lot.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Lot of saw for the money. They fit me and feel better than any other brand of saw, at least in my hands, good ergonomics. I put them in a class with the other pro saws. Can't lie, they aren't quite a Stihl pro saw in build quality, but darn close. I've had several of them over the years, and still own 3 of them that wear the blue and grey plastic instead of the red. I prefer the red. I can't seem to kill them, and some of them have been through a lot.
well if its only stihl level quality that's not saying much ;) now when you hit XP level of quality and power give me a yell :)

Reactions: DodgyNomad
I ended up getting the Dolmar PS-6100 and it’s on the way to me.
One question I have is I was looking at one of the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpeners to go with this saw and wanted to ask if as long as I get the one for 3/8 pitch chain I should be good?

Thanks!

You will be very happy with that Dolmar, if I didn’t already have 5 Stihl’s I would buy one of those. I may unload 2-3 Stihls and get a Dolmar. You will be fine with that sharpener. I have a 3/8 picco, 3/8 & .325. I am very happy with them. If you get your cutter top plate angle off you may have get them machine sharpened to correct your angle but several people here use them & are very happy with them.

One question I have is I was looking at one of the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpeners to go with this saw and wanted to ask if as long as I get the one for 3/8 pitch chain I should be good
Get the right pitch and it will work OK
I have one and it works really works
It is fast and I find it better than any
chain I have had Pro. Sharpened

Nice saw. Should be fine on the sharpener, just match it to the specs on your chain. I used one on my Dolmar chains, worked great. 2 in 1 sharpener is my favorite sharpener. Just tighten your chains a bit snug before sharpening, clamp your bar and pay attention to your angles. You'll be able to feel the files working. Usually 3-5 strokes per tooth is all you'll need in my experience on a moderately dull chain.