Door installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Holden

Nov 4, 2017
Indianapolis
Looking for some guidance on door installation. I will preface this with we have no idea what we are doing, so....that may explain some of my verbiage.

I have attached some pictures as well. When looking at our lintel bar it is not exposed like the bar that is shown in the video for installation, labeled below as lintel.png. Ours looks like it's flipped the other way, does it not? Labeled below as fireplace.jpg. We also don't have any part of our lintel showing on the exterior of the fireplace. Shown below as fireplace2.jpg.

Is step six of the directions below, labeled fireplace3.jpg telling us to drill through the front of the fireplace stone? My husband isn't sure how to place the brackets based upon this picture vs. what ours actually looks like.

We are planning to call some chimney places today to see if they do installations :)

Attachments

• lintel.png
    lintel.png
    901.2 KB · Views: 125
  • fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 108
  • fireplace2.jpg
    fireplace2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 87
  • fireplace3.jpg
    fireplace3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 98
Any pictures of the door tracks?
Maker of door kit?

I was weary of installing my doors. But, ordered from Woodland Direct. I installed in less than an hour. Took longest to drill into the brick. Didnt think that it was hard at all. Just doubled checked measurements.

Any pictures of the door tracks?
Maker of door kit?

I was weary of installing my doors. But, ordered from Woodland Direct. I installed in less than an hour. Took longest to drill into the brick. Didnt think that it was hard at all. Just doubled checked measurements.

My husband is super handy, so we didn't think that he'd have a problem with these doors. I think he's partly hesitant because he is not familiar with fireplaces. They are pleasant hearth doors.

https://pleasanthearthfireplacedoor...pleasant-hearth-fireplace-doors-installation/

You may be over thinking this one a bit. Here is one possible solution that I can think of:

1. Your lintel angle iron has the down face in the front out towards the living area. Who knows why but that is irrelevant, it is how it is.
2. The bracket you are trying to use simply is a push/pull tension device. Manufacturers guide assumes the rear facing down face for a clamp surface.

3. What I would do is fashion some piece of stone or block that is the approximate depth of the front facing angle iron as a shim or block. Basically anything that is solid and non-combustible. Could be a piece of steel, but it depends on what you have or can fashion. You could easily get some cheap ceramic tile from the big box store, have them cut several into the proper height and then stack them along the angle iron as a shim. Most BB stores will cut up to 7 or so tiles on their wet saw for free.

4. That will move the front facing angle to the rear where the clamping bracket can then make contact with sufficient depth to tighten and pull the glass screen back against the stacked stone face.

Makes sense?

It looks like your kit has no drilling. Step 6 is showing how you use the thumb screws to tighten on the inside of the fireplace lintel.

Even though yours appears to be upside down like you stated; or double faced lintel, the process should remain the same.

If it doesn't work that way maybe a few steel spacer blocks bolted through the lintel will give you something to grab onto.

It looks like your kit has no drilling. Step 6 is showing how you use the thumb screws to tighten on the inside of the fireplace lintel.

Even though yours appears to be upside down like you stated; or double faced lintel, the process should remain the same.

If it doesn't work that way maybe a few steel spacer blocks bolted through the lintel will give you something to grab onto.

Thank you both, I will share with my husband!