Door pins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Enplater

Burning Hunk
Jun 6, 2017
NH
image.jpg
I made some door hinge pins from grade 8 bolts. The bolts were originally 1/2" bolts, maybe 3" or something, zinc plated. I work at a plating shop so I stripped off the zinc and plated them in electroless nickel. Just thought I'd share.

Reactions: Todd67
There are a few threads with instructions to make the solid rivets used for door pins;
Select a 3/8 diameter bolt with shank long enough under head without threads. Grind the corners off bolt head to make the hex head round. Put the bolt in a drill, and rotate with drill (in reverse) against a spinning bench grinder wheel to make the rounded head. Cut bolt to length.
Fisher offered optional nickel or brass plated door pins with later plated doors.

chrome or brass pins Steve ebay $19.95.jpg

https://www.hearth.com/talk/search/110576906/?q=bench+grinder&o=date&c[user][0]=3411

Reactions: Todd67
Interesting, thanks to both of you for sharing!