Doors with windows for the small stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 6, 2010
PA
Most of the smaller wood stoves that are inexpensive and just meat/potatoes have no window on the door to see the flame, does anyone make aftermarket doors for these things with a window?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

~*~vvv~*~ said:
cant change the stove's UL tested configuration , it voids the UL listing

Does that mean it would break the law or something?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
cant change the stove's UL tested configuration , it voids the UL listing

Does that mean it would break the law or something?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
maybe, ins. co. wont pay in case of fire

emt1581 said:
BeGreen said:
Not to my knowledge, but then again most of these stoves are not EPA approved either. This one is:

http://www.overstockstoves.com/50tvl17--epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--1250171200.html

I was talking more about the little Jotuls but that one you posted looks pretty sweet for that price! Is it cast iron?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

The EPA version of the 602 does have a window. Check Jotul's website for a picture.

The Englander VL-17 is a steel stove. It's the newest baby from Englander. Designed by hearth.com member Corie.

madison said:
It means when they are sweeping your remains into a body bag, they will look at each other and say, "Hey, it wasn't UL listed, but he saved a few bucks before he burned down his house"

How would buying an additional aftermarket door be SAVING a few bucks??

-Emt1581

BeGreen said:
emt1581 said:
BeGreen said:
Not to my knowledge, but then again most of these stoves are not EPA approved either. This one is:

http://www.overstockstoves.com/50tvl17--epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--1250171200.html

I was talking more about the little Jotuls but that one you posted looks pretty sweet for that price! Is it cast iron?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

The EPA version of the 602 does have a window. Check Jotul's website for a picture.

The Englander VL-17 is a steel stove. It's the newest baby from Englander. Designed by hearth.com member Corie.

I like it! Unfortunately it can only accept logs 16" long and mine are 17"-20".

I know I've read bad things about the Vogelzang stoves from Northern Tool, but what about this guy?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200446396_200446396

Too bad about that one you posted though!! I love it! Plus you can store wood underneath and really dry it out before burning.

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
Because instead of buying a stove with a window, he bought a stove and then put a window on it.

~Rose

Right, so how is that saving money??

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
RoseRedHoofbeats said:
Because instead of buying a stove with a window, he bought a stove and then put a window on it.

~Rose

-Emt1581
So he missed the bulls eye with his point but you get the jest, you modify the stove and you eat it when it burns your house down.

oldspark said:
emt1581 said:
RoseRedHoofbeats said:

~Rose

-Emt1581
So he missed the bulls eye with his point but you get the jest, you modify the stove and you eat it when it burns your house down.

No, I saw he was trying to be cute, just wanted to make sure he didn't get full credit for the logic. ;)

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
oldspark said:
emt1581 said:
RoseRedHoofbeats said:

~Rose

-Emt1581

No, I saw he was trying to be cute, just wanted to make sure he didn't get full credit for the logic. ;)

-Emt1581
I am Slow today! :red:

Drolet makes a little boxwood stove with a door, called the compak, I believe it's EPA compliant. Not sure how long the log length is though - or the cost, though it will certainly be more than $200. I'm guessing that that USA stove boxwood stove is just as bad as the vozelgang one.

6a00d8341c010853ef010535b2f327970b-800wi.jpg

emt1581 said:
BeGreen said:
emt1581 said:
BeGreen said:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

I know I've read bad things about the Vogelzang stoves from Northern Tool, but what about this guy?

Too bad about that one you posted though!! I love it! Plus you can store wood underneath and really dry it out before burning.

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

If you want to burn your house down, then that Vogelzang model is for you.

emt1581 said:

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

You are going to base a purchase of your stove that will be in your house for most of your life by the length of wood you have in your pile that will be gone probably in one season?

north of 60 said:
emt1581 said:

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

You are going to base a purchase of your stove that will be in your house for most of your life by the length of wood you have in your pile that will be gone probably in one season?
I dont get that either, if the wood is too long for the stove I just leave the door open and burn off the ends until I can get the door closed.

oldspark said:
north of 60 said:
emt1581 said:

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

I dont get that either, if the wood is too long for the stove I just leave the door open and burn off the ends until I can get the door closed.

Smart A$$

oldspark said:
North I agree with you, I just thought it was funny.

Made me laugh too. Problem is, you may have probably given a few people what they might think is a good idea. :bug:
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.