Double duty shed: boats and wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
Have any of you seen a multi-boat shed that is also a firewood shed? I'm just beginning to ponder a shed that faces south for the wood and north (shaded) for the boats. Cost and space wise, I imagine it'd be more efficient than two sheds.

Have any of you seen such a shed? Any suggestions? I'm just at the daydream stage now.

Should be no problem? Just make an additional bay and store the boat there rather than wood.

In my case , though, it'd start out with a boat there but the moment I need more space it'll be filled up with wood . ..

I'm thinking something along the line of the classic longer-than-deeper wood shed with a large backside overhang. Then have horizontal beams projecting out on the rear side that the boats could be placed upon.

Food for thought. Mice etc. love stacked wood. Mice etc. also love stored boats_g Mostly the delicious chewable components....

I was thinking the exact same thing. I have a huge problem with mice, wood rats, and chipmunks getting in to anything other than the house.... Its sealed up good. I would also be leery because of this.

Not to say you shouldn't do it though. Its deep woods around my house with a lot of critters constantly trying to destroy vehicles and tractors lol. You may not have as much of a problem where you are at. I do like the idea of having my smaller tractor and splitter stored in a connected bay of a wood shed but for me it would be a invitation for chewed wires. As stated above food for thought.

Reactions: moresnow
Food for thought. Mice etc. love stacked wood. Mice etc. also love stored boats_g Mostly the delicious chewable components....
Yup, they feast on boats and motorcycles all winter and snowmobiles all summer! ;lol :mad:

Reactions: moresnow
Not to say you shouldn't do it though. Its deep woods around my house with a lot of critters constantly trying to destroy vehicles and tractors lol. You may not have as much of a problem where you are at. I do like the idea of having my smaller tractor and splitter stored in a connected bay of a wood shed but for me it would be a invitation for chewed wires. As stated above food for thought.
Good points. Pinterest has a lot of boat-only shed ideas. I'll keep the wood and the boats separate.

My wood shed was just emptied this past week and the amount of snakes it was housing was impressive. Only a couple of mouse nests long abandoned with skins.

Reactions: D8Chumley