Double wall thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

30WCF

Minister of Fire
Aug 31, 2016
North Carolina
Looking for a clean, easy to read gauge for double wall.

I found this stack thermometer on a syrup supply site. If the hole was drilled tight and a little pressure was needed to slide the probe in, then the clip attached from the inside, is this a decent thermometer design for a wood stove? It sure looks easy to read.

Reactions: sloeffle
Try SBI. black and white. Inobtrusive. Easy to read.

I think mine was $16.50. In canada.

just checked; $13.50 usd.

Reactions: RomanW and 30WCF
As far as true stove pipe thermometers, I imagine that technology is pretty well known. Is there really any difference in performance from SBI, Condor, Imperial or anyone else aside from looks?

So, I might have gone with beauty over brains. My thermometer came in the mail today. I put it in and couldn’t get over 175-200 in the stack with sst ranging from 300-400 during the day. I took the magnet off from how it came from the package, and flipped it over. This let the coil go, and wasn’t being pulled tight to the magnet and binding.

image.jpg

vs

image.jpg

Now I’m 500-600 SST tonight, and I seem to be hanging around 250-300 in the pipe. I did hit 400 for a minute, but it didn’t last long. SST is hotter than the gasses????

19E56EB6-06A2-41AC-96F3-DD194524F29D.jpeg

image.jpg

87BD0CE4-6425-4529-AB79-DC541816B380.jpeg

Possible clue, if it matters.
I’m burning one split at a time right now. It’s not that cold out.
Is there a chance that a one split fire over coals will burn warm enough to heat the cast, but the gasses cool faster?
When I hit 400 in the pipe, I had just tossed in a couple pieces of kindling to help get that split going.

I hat to move from my rocking chair to the couch because it was too warm that close to the stove at 550 SST.

I’m actually going to let this thing die out from here. It’s warming up and not going to be cold again for a few days.

Right now I have a coaling log that just crumbled into 3 pieces, SST of 425, and flue reading of about 150+\-

I've got the same probe, it took me buying an Amprobe Multimeter with K-Type thermocouple to realize mine read about 150f low. Loosened the nut and adjusted the setpoint and now mine reads much closer.

Reactions: 30WCF
I actually bought two. I just switched them out, but it may be too late in the fire to tell if it’s settled in anywhere. I mean, the stoves gonna be hot for a while, but it’s steady dropping at the same time.

This is what I reversed earlier. Now the magnet is stronger on the stove pipe side and doesn’t bind the spring. Both thermometers came with the strong side facing the spring though. Is that part of the calibration method and I’m screwing that up. I can’t imagine it is, but????
See video:
Either way, it still seems low.

I'm assuming that's just for shipping, I have mine spun around the other way, so the strong side sticks to the flue.

Reactions: 30WCF
Can I calibrate it with boiling water and keep adjusting it till I get close to 212?

Can I calibrate it with boiling water and keep adjusting it till I get close to 212?
That didn’t work.

I tried it in the oven too and it shot to 650. Now that I think about it, that might have been as the burner was on during preheat and it was trying to get that cold sucker up to temp.
Looking into digital.

If I understand correctly, with a probe, I should have roughly the same flue temp as SST, just the probe will read faster than the SST due to thermal mass??