Draft for Harman?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bioburner

Aug 4, 2012
West central Mn
Newer self install of Lightly used Harman pc45. Have 8foot of vertical and 3 foot of horizontal pipe.
The draft when cold is .40 on high start and .25 on low within Harmans recommended draft. But after firing and stove has shutdown auger because it's met temperature the draft is .75. It really sucks,pun intended, the fire out.
Should I decrease the exaust fan? According to what I searched here I can only get a ten percent adjustment of draft motor.

give her a try- you have a guage, so, just reset it if something goes awry

I had to cover the air intake (50%) with some aluminum tape. This is a the last resort option. I have a basement install and the negative pressure pulls a decent amount of air without the fan on. I could cover it more, but I'd rather have it a little lean vs too rich (dirty). Harman's draft adjustment is a joke IMO.

Manual says that may not get a lower draft with longer verticals but 8 foot should not be considered long. May make a restrictor after I get the crosslink plumbed in. Way to much air that just wastes heat because it goes through exchanger to fast IMO. Ideas anyone?

only issue here is that with changing atmospheric conditions, draft can/will change.

Hence the use of barometric dampers on furnaces etc. Just have to keep the manometer hooked up and watch. Have the vent out a west wall that gets hit by the prevailing NW wind. Will have to put in posts just in case have to make a wind break. Fall here a month earlier than last year. Was riding cycle last year well into November.

Hence the use of barometric dampers on furnaces etc. Just have to keep the manometer hooked up and watch. Have the vent out a west wall that gets hit by the prevailing NW wind. Will have to put in posts just in case have to make a wind break. Fall here a month earlier than last year. Was riding cycle last year well into November.
Baro D's are a great thing in a negative pressure situation.......but, pellet stoves pressurize the exhaust to at least some point, so, Baro D's arent at all reccommended for them......CO is bad in the home

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Something for pellet stove engineers to develop, automatic barometric exaust. I ran a countryside and would have to change damper because of the weather occasionally.

Are the dip switch settings right? Harman has come up w/ some different setting to fix different situations. I dont know exactly what they r, just remember hearing about it. I think it has to do w/ increased fuel to match air??

The esp reads and varies fuel etc,but would like to decrease fuel consumtion while in idle etc.

Do you have dip switches set for pellets only? I will try to find my settings sheet.

I had dip sheet with other stove but has been buried in the garage somewhere. I would appreciate the info.

Info I have says 1,7&8 on.The rest off. burning pellets

Harman got back to me and 1,2,7,8 to be on for my model and vintage etc with pellet pot. Will Have to give a try later this weekend. Currently 1,2,3,7,8 on4,5,6 off?

Bio, what year are your stoves? I have taken the board out of mine and I see no dip switches. Mine was sold in 2006, maybe made earlier. SN# 000000202

The one in my avitar is only couple years old,and my other one is several years old but both have dips that are accessed from the front switch side. I would post a pic but not going to be home till Sunday.

I see where they are on the replacement boards but they are absent on the board in my stove. Part # for my stove has been superceded 3 times. Maybe they made it to good the first time, durable not very adjustable.

Switches r under faceplate mounted on front of board. Should b a square that the face decal covers up

Switches r under faceplate mounted on front of board. Should b a square that the face decal covers up

Rick I've had the board out twice looking for them. They don't exist unless they don't look like regular dip switches.

Picture of dip switchs on PC45 DSCN0157.JPG

Sorry Bio, they don't exist on mine;hm

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 190
Would be interesting to know when change to differant board. Makes sense to use dips to configure to differant stove models though instead of making a new board for each.

Okay, now I am all confused with these dip switches. What are they for? My 2006 Accentra insert has 1, 2 and 3 (up) on. While 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are (down) off. As far as I can tell, it came from the factory like that. Is that not right? I am going to go and search for the manual now, but, don't recall seeing anything for dip switches in there.

I found nothing in my manuals about the dip switchs. I contacted customer service to get the proper setting for my stove as it was a used unit and my older one had a pellet upgrade kit with a sheet that that gave differant dip switch settings. Dips set fan speeds and other things and can be set to a particular stove model without having 10 boards for ten stoves. In my case hopefully lower my draft so I don't blow so much hot air out the stack. If you got it new I would not worry. I tested mine for draft and it was a bit high after its warmed up.

Mine was not new to me, but, the knock out plate was still in tact, and only the first three switches were viewable.

Status
Not open for further replies.