Draft question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slucru2

Jan 5, 2019
, Illinois
We have an Englander wood stove that has a 6 inch flue going up 6 feet to an 8 inch triple wall going up about 15 feet straight up through the roof. Will this cause a problem with drafting?

We have an Englander wood stove that has a 6 inch flue going up 6 feet to an 8 inch triple wall going up about 15 feet straight up through the roof. Will this cause a problem with drafting?
Possibly.

I would try it out. With 21 ft straight up, it may draft well. There is a good chance it will work ok, depending on other factors like outside temp, local topography, negative pressure, etc..

I ran 6" single wall up through my 8" double wall insulated when I installed my Mansfield . So , essentially ,I had triple wall. No alteration to the existing roof or flashing. Draft is great and the insulated pipe helps cut down on creosote build up .I 'll usually burn mixed hardwoods ,with a mc of 20% or less. I sweep every 2 years whether it needs it or not.