Draft wonder for my situation soon.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 15, 2022
Maryland
I have a VC Defiant Encore stove from 1992 that I am installing on my raised deck this summer. We are building a screened in porch, 20 x 20 on top[ of the existing deck. We are using these vinyl window/screen combinations, where we can click up the vinyl panels to enclose the room. That's why the wood stove. If it was just screen i wouldn't do it but i think the windows will contain the heat enough that a well lit stove will heat the room despite the low "r" value or whatever. Which leads me to my ponderings on draft. We are installing the porch on top of the existing trex-style decking. Decking that has about 1/8" spaces that air is free to flow. The stove pipe will run maybe 16 feet, through the roof and two feet above the peak. I imagine that the air flow INTO the stove will be max, and that it may be hard to regulate the intake, even with the air damper closed. Any thoughts? Anyone with a deck setup like that and experience?? Cheers!

I have a VC Defiant Encore stove from 1992 that I am installing on my raised deck this summer. We are building a screened in porch, 20 x 20 on top[ of the existing deck. We are using these vinyl window/screen combinations, where we can click up the vinyl panels to enclose the room. That's why the wood stove. If it was just screen i wouldn't do it but i think the windows will contain the heat enough that a well lit stove will heat the room despite the low "r" value or whatever. Which leads me to my ponderings on draft. We are installing the porch on top of the existing trex-style decking. Decking that has about 1/8" spaces that air is free to flow. The stove pipe will run maybe 16 feet, through the roof and two feet above the peak. I imagine that the air flow INTO the stove will be max, and that it may be hard to regulate the intake, even with the air damper closed. Any thoughts? Anyone with a deck setup like that and experience?? Cheers!
If the stove is in good condition and not leaky it should be controllable. It won't work any different than it would inside your house