Oh Man!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 15, 2022
Maryland
With all the help from this site….I finally have my Vermont Castings Defiant Encore stove installed! I have about 4 cords of scrounged wood, still need a moisture meter to know what I’m burning….but I’ve been able to burn since Saturday and WOW I love it! My draw is strong but not too strong, it’s on a porch with vinyl windows and heats up the room in about 3 hours when it’s 45 degrees outside. It’s on a deck, I may insulate under it but go through this winter first seeing how she does with long burns. Thank you all so much! I have a stove, I have wood, and on Saturday I caught my wife doing a happy dance because she was warm. No more comments about too much wood!! Cheers!

1B8548C5-AE06-42CB-AABE-8F891F8673B9.jpeg A53B0C89-BE9D-4D5A-B35E-4E680FA6E79A.jpeg 9D6BD99A-1CB0-4BA3-818E-6D6BB08F56A1.jpeg

I have never seen such ("metal colored") stove pipe?
What type is that?

With all the help from this site….I finally have my Vermont Castings Defiant Encore stove installed! I have about 4 cords of scrounged wood, still need a moisture meter to know what I’m burning….but I’ve been able to burn since Saturday and WOW I love it! My draw is strong but not too strong, it’s on a porch with vinyl windows and heats up the room in about 3 hours when it’s 45 degrees outside. It’s on a deck, I may insulate under it but go through this winter first seeing how she does with long burns. Thank you all so much! I have a stove, I have wood, and on Saturday I caught my wife doing a happy dance because she was warm. No more comments about too much wood!! Cheers!

View attachment 300402 View attachment 300403 View attachment 300404
HELL yeah!
If you would have told me I would be excited about a wood stove 10 years ago I would have laughed.
While she is a finicky beast, I enjoy looking at my VC Dauntless and learning how best to manage it for my room/cabin, temperatures, draft, mix of hardwoods etc.
There is something so,...satisfying when I loaded up my stove all the way to the very top and could barely close the door without it hitting a log. Then setting it on full blast for 15 minutes, switching back to secondary burn - then lowering the air control to 1/3 of the way and just letting it go for hours and hours and hours.

Meanwhile, our old fireplace is yelling "Feed me wood!! MORE wood!! Im almost empty again!"

Curious the pipe choice you have there. Stove pipe to what I would imagine is a stainless chimney pipe. I have a similar setup (damn beam right down where I wanted to go) but did all double wall back up to a ceiling support and then inside the ceiling support up through the roof is the chimney pipe.

PS I love that background. Did you ever consider raising some pheasant to roam?

I have never seen such ("metal colored") stove pipe?
What type is that?
Almost looks like galvanized duct, huh?
And am I seeing the male ends facing up?

Good looking setup though.

That is a good looking install. I like the hearth. I am surprised it draws well, with the two, 90 degree bends in the pipe, but good for you.
My girlfriend call our Norwegian wood stove "her new religion."

Almost looks like galvanized duct, huh?
And am I seeing the male ends facing up?

Good looking setup though.
No... great looking setup! Love the room, love the view.

Also concerned about what looks like galvanized, but guessing it's a legit chimney product I've just not seen before. It would be normal for joints to appear upside down on double-wall, and the OD of this is large enough that's likely what it is, so I'm guessing that's what brenndatomu is seeing.

Reactions: stoveliker