Drafting Issues with 1999 Waterford Ashling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AgedLace

Mar 9, 2017
Ohio
This stove was in a home we bought and from looking at the online user manual [http://ucadmin.waterfordstanley.com/media/2030204/ashling-sf-manual-with-hotplate.pdf] this model does not have the built in damper or any apparent air regulation. See 1st photo. We have no idea how oxygen gets into the burn chamber. There is a 10" tee coming out of the stove. In that tee is a horizontal type RC calibrated draft control. See 3rd photo.

Also, in the center of the unit, below the front door, but above the ash tray, is a push/pull pin. It runs through a tube underneath the ash dump assembly but does not appear to do anything. 2nd photo.

Finally, inside the burn chamber alongside the bottom of the front door, is another assembly that we could not find it's purpose either. 2nd photo.

If anybody can help us with these questions, we would be most grateful. Thank you! sm_IMG_3591.JPG sm_IMG_3594.JPG sm_IMG_3595.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure the lever in the front is your air control. And you need to get rid of that barometric damper if you are burning wood in the stove.

I am pretty sure the lever in the front is your air control. And you need to get rid of that barometric damper if you are burning wood in the stove.

Thanks for the reply! Do you have a recommendation as to what to replace the barometric damper with, if anything?

Appreciate your time and input.

Thanks for the reply! Do you have a recommendation as to what to replace the barometric damper with, if anything?
plain old pipe possibly a key damper if you have a tall chimney. Have you had the chimney and stove inspected by a pro?

plain old pipe possibly a key damper if you have a tall chimney. Have you had the chimney and stove inspected by a pro?

I'm sorry I haven't responded before now, I've had a few physical problems. We've been successfully using the woodburner and have even made our first meal using the hotplate on top ... totally awesome!

Thank you again for your help. It has been greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry I haven't responded before now, I've had a few physical problems. We've been successfully using the woodburner and have even made our first meal using the hotplate on top ... totally awesome!

Thank you again for your help. It has been greatly appreciated!
Are you still useing the barometric damper?