Dragging leaf tarp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
I use my old wood pile tarps to drag my yard leaves out to the woods. Tarps are poly 10 X 20, that I tow with the ATV. They are almost shot before I start, but don't last long hauling the leaves. I was thinking trying canvas.

What do you guys use?

I can tell you that the decent quality canvas tarps I've had have lasted much longer, maybe 5 times as long, as the best poly tarps I've had.
I found out yesterday that canvas tarps are much more "spark" resistant than poly too. I had one of each laid out near a bonfire yesterday and the poly tarp is full of holes now, and it was one of the thicker ones. I haven't noticed any holes in the canvas tarp.

I have some large blue tarps that I bought online. I don't recall the thickness. They are 10x80 and can fit a lot of leaves. I can drag them full of leaves and three children riding on the tarp into the woods to dump. I keep the tarps covered and really only use them for leaves these days.

Old wood pile tarps are most likely 1/2 sun rotted, and can't be expected to last long. I'd try a new poly tarp before spending the added cost on a canvas, just to drag leaves around.

I mow a half acre in the middle of 2 acres of woods that's full of mature oak, hickory, maple, birch & pine trees. My typical fall leaf season consists of a several events of lawn mowing where I start at the house and drive around in a giant circle and use the Deere to cut, mulch & blow everything to the outer edge. I works good, is fast & efficient but leaves a lot of tiny shredded leaf bits behind. They won't rot that fast unless I apply a healthy amount of lime, so I try to minimize mulching them.

I work 12 hr rotating shifts, but have spells when I have 7 to 10 day work stretches where I can't keep up with the leaves falling. Throw in 2 huge wind storms like we just had in New England and you could almost use the snow blower on the leaves, LOL. I had a 3 bin bagger for my old Craftsman tractor but it was essentially useless. Either the tube would plug up or the bins would fill up after 50 feet or so. It did an OK job of doing final clean up though.

Although I only use it about twice a year, I swear by my self powered tow behind lawn vac.

Last weekend, after not cleaning the lawn for 2 weeks due to my work schedule plus having 2 huge wind storms during that time, nearly everything dropped all at once. I set my 54" deck to the highest setting of about 6" only took a half deck width swath at a time and filled the leaf vac trailer 7 times. It holds 32 cu ft so that's basically 7 YARDS of crap that is chopped up by the 3 blade mower deck and them chopped again at a 10 to 1 ratio. The vac only sucked down 3 quarts of gas.

I then set the mower deck to my fall cutting height of 4" and mowed in a big circle, blowing the remnants toward the woods.

20 of my oaks are now dead due to caterpillar damage. Several years ago I emptied the leaf vac 18 times during one leaf season.

I've used recycled bulk bags but they were free.
Pretty easy to heft up onto the bed of a pick up.
Not as easy to blow/rake onto as a tarp though.