Draining the 'Pretreat' (can you use a garden hose)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty2

Mar 14, 2008
West Coast
what happens to a garden hose if you run hot water through it?
Finally got the GARN to the Pretreat chemical stage. Now time to drain the 160 degree water and refill...to find that Garden Hoses state not to use for 'hot water'.
Since I was hoping to redirect the water several hundred feet the only real options are 'Garden Hoses' (by far the easiest), or I temporarily hook up some pvc water pipe (tough as it's not a straight run to the drain site)

Having completed draining 1800 gallons of 160 degree water, using garden hoses (that state 'do not use for hot water'), I can state 'no visible problems'...further, probably helped to clean the inside of the old hoses.
Oh yeah...it will take you approx. 12 hours to drain depending on the diameter of the hose. Rusty looking stuff when you get to the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: eauzonedan
I bought some of that vinyl pool drain hose to drain mine down with. I only had about 120 gallons to drain but it was 170 degrees when I did it. Stuff is dirt cheap on thE bay. Some even come with the barb fittings and hose clamps. I bought 1 1/4" but it comes in many sizes.

10-4 on using garden hose. I left hose bibs and valves at both ends of my 1500 and think I'm about half that time with two hoses...... Also think about the recommended filter system if you see any gunk or sediment/flock visible in the tank after your chemical addition. That can create a barrier that prevents the chemicals from protecting the steel.....just depends on what's in your water. I spent a lot of time talking to Mike at Precision to Mine to clear up - and burned thru a filter a day for two weeks to get to gin clear

Status
Not open for further replies.