Drippy drip edge on wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
Hello folks, I put a drip edge and aluminum fascia on my under deck wood shed roof this morning and the water is going up hill between the plastic roofing material and the top of the drip edge and coming behind the fascia board. Do you think a 6" piece of flashing between the roofing and the top of the drip edge will stop this? How far will water go up hill? There isn't much of a pitch but it definitely slants down so I didn't expect this.

WP_20121216_003.jpg

WP_20121216_002.jpg

Sounds like your drip edge is pitched backward to me.. Water generally will seek the level and not go uphill. Ice dams would cause the water to back up a bit because they are an obstruction to flow. This doesn't make sense to me..

Ray

Sounds like your drip edge is pitched backward to me.. Water generally will seek the level and not go uphill. Ice dams would cause the water to back up a bit because they are an obstruction to flow. This doesn't make sense to me..

Ray

Makes no sense to me either Ray. I think its called surface tension, but the water is going up hill between the plastic roofing and metal top of the drip edge. I am going to get some coil stock and flash it and be done with it.

Reactions: raybonz
I think you nailed it when you said surface tension. I cant tell from the pic but it looks like the edge of your roofing is flush with or alittle shy of the D-edge? When I was building pole barns we always ran the steel 2" behond the gutter trim not only to acomadate gutters but to deal with the serface tension you spoke of.

Reactions: ScotO
More slope, More overhang. People always seem to skimp on the drip edges overhangs.
I've seen surface tension carry water more than 2" up hill under flashing on low slope (clean) roofs before, and when you start getting dirt and debris on the roof it only gets worse.

I put in a 6" flashing and it may not help. Things had dried up as I put the flahing in so I'm not sure. The flashing was so thin it was sagging between the framing members so it may not help my cause. Like lots of things, this may take awhile to solve. It will wait till next summer now.

Would a rain gutter & down spout work, Control where the water goes better.
When it gets cold you might have ice issues. Gutter may help prevent that too.
Hard to tell in the pic if you have enough room.

Hello Bogydave. It really is an issue with surface tension and the water moving up under the plastic roofing. Butcher nailed it, I should have left more overhang. I left about 3/4 of an inch hang over the 2 x 4 fascia board. Now that I have added the drip edge, the roofing stops 1/8" short of the edge of the drip edge. Water is being pulled back up under the roofing and going behind the 2 x 4 fascil board. Next year I may have to form a piece of roll stock into a "U" channel and it should protect the 2 x 4 fascia board without adding length like the drip edge is doing.

You could also maybe seal the bottom of that roofing up with silly-cone?

You could also maybe seal the bottom of that roofing up with silly-cone?

Excellent suggestion XJma. Next spring when it warms up (and dries out) I'll give it a shot (well, a long bead more than a shot). Thanks for the suggestion.

Or just make a dam with a bead of silicone lengthwise along the plastic, about an inch from the edge. The water won't climb over the silicone dam.

That's what is happening to the low slope roof on the backside of my barn right now. I'm gonna tear that roof off, and put a steeper pitch on that side sometime.

Looks like you need a closure strip which is a piece of foam rubber shaped to fill the space between the roofing and the drip edge. Should be available where ever you bought the roofing.

Reactions: raybonz
Rich I think you have the best solution..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.