*Drolet 1800 Stove (any other stove suggestions before I order?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BsFire

Mar 12, 2015
Ohio
Hey all,

It's finally time to get a stove! I'm going to install it myself (which will be an absolute first). I have a pretty good idea on how to go about the install after reading a bunch on here and watching a few videos. The stove is going in the basement, not to heat the entire house but to use while we're down there and to offset some of our propane costs. The chimney was set up for a stove - but nothing was ever installed. There isn't a damper, just a wide open terracotta flue. I'll need to take final measurements, but we're looking at just over a 20' liner (which will hopefully result in a decent draft). And yes, I'll be installing a block off plate and understand the importance of dry wood (which we have a decent amount of). I'll be ordering everything online and will probably start a new stove install post with lots of dumb questions later.

Drolet_1800.jpg

With that said, I like the price on the Drolet 1800 stove, but before I order I thought it would be smart to double check to see if you guys would suggest any other stove(s)? I don't want to spend more than $1,500 for the stove itself. The 1800 is listed at $1,199 currently with a $300 tax credit.

It is rated for up to 2,100 sq ft, 2.4 cu ft firebox, 75k btus and and 8 hr burn time.

Here's a quick photoshopped image showing the 1800 in place. Our fireplace opening measurements are: 34" wide x 33.75" high. The 1800 will fit nicely - including the ground clearance to the front door. The ground clearance is a factor (I'd rather not have to worry about adding tile or a rug).

Basement_Hearth_Work.jpg

I'd love to hear any and all suggestions (kind of a gut check I guess before placing the order).

Thanks in advance!

Does the Drolet come with a blower, or the option to install one? You might want to factor that into your budget...I'm thinking you're going to want a blower to move the heat out of the alcove and into the room.

I just installed the insert version of the Drolet 1800 (which comes standard with a blower), and am pretty impressed with how quiet it is.

Does the Drolet come with a blower, or the option to install one? You might want to factor that into your budget...I'm thinking you're going to want a blower to move the heat out of the alcove and into the room.

I just installed the insert version of the Drolet 1800 (which comes standard with a blower), and am pretty impressed with how quiet it is.

There is an optional blower for the 1800. I figure I can always add that later if needed.

Good to know that it's fairly quiet - thanks!!