Drolet 1800

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jfhull71

Oct 11, 2022
Pennsylvania
Very happy with my drolet 1800....5 hours into a near full box E/W burn.... combustion air control been closed since 15 to 20 minutes in, mixed well seasoned hard woods... really impressed with this stove for the money.... can't wait to turn my pile of split locust on it deeper into winter.... only downside is no more smoking the street out on hot reloads....lol... really burns clean

IMG_20221018_203603142.jpg

Nice to hear your liking it. You may find that a small hearth pad will save your carpet a bit in front of the stove. Not sure you have the amount of hearth in front of that stove. Not trying to be a downer- if may be something you can get past with using a good hearth pad (with the needed r value) directly in front of the stove . Your manual should give you all the info needed on clearances.

I just added to my reply, just make sure you re-read.

That might be a challenge but drolet itself says it's ok to burn softwood, just keep an eye on your liner. Up at 430am coals we're dying down, 73 in the house/33 and windy outside. loaded, open the air up and left door open for 10 minutes, left air control open for about 15 minutes more to everything burning or charred with good secondary burn... closed the air down. Easy as that.

Reactions: RomanW
Yeah, I figured I'd have to get up earlier to get it up and going again. Thanks for the tip! This is my first stove, so it will be a fun learning curve, but it doesn't seem that complicated. I appreciate any help or tips I can get!

A friend of mine had one last year in his old house and he was getting 5-6 hours on pine, so we'll see how it goes this year lol

Yeah, I figured I'd have to get up earlier to get it up and going again. Thanks for the tip! This is my first stove, so it will be a fun learning curve, but it doesn't seem that complicated. I appreciate any help or tips I can get!

A friend of mine had one last year in his old house and he was getting 5-6 hours on pine, so we'll see how it goes this year lol
I get up at 430 anyway, coffee/dress leave at 515 for 6 am start... only thing I need to remember is to have my morning load in the house so I don't have to go out in a robe, lol. I think you'll be happy with it, sounds like you know the importance of having dry splits...I have heard of people with long flues needing to add a damper...I could see that mine drafts really well

Stove really likes my split locust... loaded at 430am and got home from work at 7pm.... enough hot coals to have new load self ignite and my guest over said the blower ran til 530 or 6
Gotta say, I'm super jealous of all you guys who can burn hardwoods lol. None of that up here where I am

Stove really likes my split locust... loaded at 430am and got home from work at 7pm.... enough hot coals to have new load self ignite and my guest over said the blower ran til 530 or 6
up at 430a, and just getting home at 7p. That's a long day!

Reactions: RomanW
Reloads are no fun with these EPA stoves, used to laugh at people coming past trying to decide if they needed to stop or call fire department... this is all I get now

IMG_20221107_150949238_HDR.jpg

What's your process for reloading?
Usually it's no smoke at all but was low on newspaper and I think one log was a little damp... this was a surprise to see and was only for ten minutes...was cold light...was warm this weekend. I work twelves and I often have coals at 13 hours when reload.... this year all I have is locust and red/white oak (3 cords all split and season).... usually mostly locust right now cause some of the oak still 22-24% moisture it's stacked on my screen porch under roof....fan on low to move air, probably get to it in January.