Drolet HT 3000 Secondary damper hole "Winding howling" issue Resolved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Andy Tobin

Oct 17, 2020
NL, Canada
Hello, I recently solved a wind howling issue with my Drolet HT 3000. The stove had this howling wind noise in the draft damper and it was coming from the small hole in the damper itself. I had to plug the hole with JB Weld and a coin and now the stove works best kind. Before it was not lasting more than 5 - 6 hours with a full fill up of seasoned wood. The damper would howl no matter if there was a fire in or not. Light winds or high winds it was all the same. Very seldom would the stove stop howling.

I did a couple of videos of the issue. One video demonstrating the issue and one video showing how I corrected the issue. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the videos up here as they are on my YouTube channel. Please advise. I just wish to share a possible solution to the problem for anybody that may be having similar issues

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
This issue pops up in a few stoves when there is strong draft. The remedy suggested is not a good one. These stoves are designed to not smolder. There should be some air getting into the firebox. I'm not sure about Canada, but in the states this is illegal. A better fix would have been to install a key damper in the stove pipe. Or maybe build up some of the JB weld around the edges of the hole so that it no longer is perfectly round. That can stop the whistling, while permitting air flow.

PS: Drolet is pronounced Dro-lay.

I can usually stop the whistle by filing the edges of the hole

This issue pops up in a few stoves when there is strong draft. The remedy suggested is not a good one. These stoves are designed to not smolder. There should be some air getting into the firebox. I'm not sure about Canada, but in the states this is illegal. A better fix would have been to install a key damper in the stove pipe. Or maybe build up some of the JB weld around the edges of the hole so that it no longer is perfectly round. That can stop the whistling, while permitting air flow.

The stove is getting plenty of air. It sits in the burn zone all day long and when I fill it for the night and shut the draft, it stays right at the edge of the burn zone and the fire lasts form 10 - 12 hours. Whereas before, I would only get 5 to 6 hours and it was totally out.

P.S. In the actual advertisement video the person clearly calls the stove "draw let" (DROLET). The french pronouncement I suspect is "Drow Lay"

Thanks for your comment.

LOL, you're right. The English videos say drawlet. I have always heard it as Drolay and that's the way their French videos say it. Drawlet doesn't even make sense unless it was spelled Drollet, but their you have it.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
LOL, you're right. The English videos say drawlet. I have always heard it as Drolay and that's the way their French videos say it. Drawlet doesn't even make sense unless it was spelled Drollet, but their you have it.
May I post the videos of my issue and fix? I didn't want to get booted of the forum. hehehe

How is this illegal? The police are not coming knocking on your door and say your burning a little dirty let me see if you plugged the secondary air hole.

Modification of a federally required emissions control device. Like removing the catalytic converter from your car, if you somehow get caught, it’s a stout fine.

Then there’s the issue of modifying a UL approved/listed device. If your house burns down they might try and say it was because you illegally modified the appliance.

Hello, I recently solved a wind howling issue with my Drolet HT 3000. The stove had this howling wind noise in the draft damper and it was coming from the small hole in the damper itself. I had to plug the hole with JB Weld and a coin and now the stove works best kind. Before it was not lasting more than 5 - 6 hours with a full fill up of seasoned wood. The damper would howl no matter if there was a fire in or not. Light winds or high winds it was all the same. Very seldom would the stove stop howling.

I did a couple of videos of the issue. One video demonstrating the issue and one video showing how I corrected the issue. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the videos up here as they are on my YouTube channel. Please advise. I just wish to share a possible solution to the problem for anybody that may be having similar issues
How long have you been running the stove like this? What have you seen as far as difference in the way the stove runs?