Drolet HT1600 air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zorkomatic

Aug 17, 2022
MA
The Drolet HT-1600 has an air intake in the back, to the left of the blower cut out. It would be a piece of cake to run an intake from outside air. Is there any benefit to doing that, or should I leave it alone?

My house was completely remodeled in late 2019 and is very airtight. There are no cold drafts in winter that I know of, except when my wife opens the $#*(*&#$ windows for some reason. So I'm thinking I should be drawing outside air. It's an easy install with one of the kits...

Sounds like a good plan.

I bought all the parts I need for $39+tax at Lowes. All I need now is the interior cover for the hole, but I can make one myself in my3D printer in less than an hour. I knew that thing would come in handy for something other than Yoda figurines and fancy flower pots for the wife. ;lol

All I need now is the interior cover for the hole
What is the interior cover?

Be sure to put an 1/8" screen on the outside intake to keep out insects, spiders, and vermin.

What is the interior cover?

Be sure to put an 1/8" screen on the outside intake to keep out insects, spiders, and vermin.

The box comes with a snap-on critter screen. I could also 3D print another one but the one it came with is fine.
vent.JPG
The 4" diameter pipe is inserted through the wall, but the interior hole in the drywall will look rough if I leave it that way, so I make a square or round cover (maybe not the right word) with a 4" hole in white PLA to make it look nice. It's very easy to design in Tinkercad now that I got the hang of it, then I download the model and print it, sand it a bit to make it look pro and install it with some screws. Easy-peasy.

Got ya. That will be a nice detail.