dropped dead red oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
Dropped a dead red oak in the backyard on New Year's Eve day. It measured about 22" in diameter at the cut. My 16" MS250 did a good job. I was a little nervous since this was the biggest tree I've dropped, but it went very well. I think it will be 3/4 to 1 cord.
20181231_104727.jpg
20181231_104727.jpg
20181231_104659.jpg
20181231_104647.jpg
20181231_104631.jpg
20181231_104618.jpg

Nice job! It's always a relief once they are on the ground and all went well.

It's all about your notch location and back cut. Helps to have nothing nearby for it to get hung up on. I'm usually not that lucky though. Good job getting down to where you wanted it!

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I definitely breathed a sigh of relief when it was finally down. Although, at one point, while I was bucking it, it rolled. Good thing I got out of the way in time!

Reactions: HisTreeNut
I definitely breathed a sigh of relief when it was finally down. Although, at one point, while I was bucking it, it rolled. Good thing I got out of the way in time!

A tree really isn't safe until it's all been bucked up - anytime there is any potential energy left - from gravity, torsion, etc - something bad can happen.

This might sort of sound weird, but I always think of a big, standing tree as something that could kill me. Hard hat, other protective gear ... if that thing lands on you or a big branch comes off as it falls and hits you, it's probably over. Then once it's down on the ground that's real progress. Once it's down, I think of it as something that could hurt me - broken leg, etc. As I'm working I'm always trying to think, do I know where this is going and what will happen if I am wrong?

Despite the dangers, I do really enjoy cutting wood, but I think I enjoy it the most once the tree down and all parts are on the ground!

Beautiful! Nice, straight trunk. It must not have been dead too long because the wood is still in great shape. I can practically smell it just looking at the pix!

It must have died sometime over the last year. It didn't leaf this past summer, so I decided to take it down.

Definitely agree that a tree is not safe until it's all cut up. :)

Every tree I cut I do an analysis of what was right and what could have been better. It is vitally important that the notch be set appropriately for the size of the tree and the task at hand. The cuts of the notch must be precise and not undercut or over cut. To me it looks like the notch was over 50% the diameter of the tree when 30% is more appropriate in most circumstances. The back cut needs to be parallel rather than down sloping.

ALWAYS BE LOOKING UP, NOT AT THE TREE WHEN IT IS GETTING CLOSE TO GOING OVER. Remember everything that will kill you is above you.

Terry Hale has excellent videos, the best I have seen.

Very good! I love the Stihl and I have an 039 that has cut a lot of firewood.

I see there is some rot on this tree. About 1 inch wide on the outside. Rotten wood is about as good for your wood stove as paper, burns fast and leaves no coals.

So, if I were having to drive somewhere to get this wood, this is about the most rot I would deal with. Why bother with rotten wood when you can get pristine wood somewhere else.

But since this is right at your house, yes this is a good deal I would get out the Monster Maul and put it right in my woodshed.

And yes whacking trees can get you in a lot of trouble. Back in 2007 I cut down a 95 foot white pine. This was on a very steep mountain side in North Carolina. Dropped the tree with the top pointing uphill right where I wanted.
And the tree settled down there, and a few seconds later I started walking downhill. And the tree started sliding down hill like a big sled. And I still had the headphones on so I couldn't hear it.
Damn tree grabbed me up and pulled me under it, and it landed right on my knee. I was pinned under the tree. Broke the thigh bone right in the knee.

Felling dead trees makes me way leery. They can drop big limbs with no notice.

Of course, even a live tree can have a dead limb on it - but way worse with a dead tree.

Nice work!

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Dropped a dead red oak in the backyard on New Year's Eve day. It measured about 22" in diameter at the cut. My 16" MS250 did a good job. I was a little nervous since this was the biggest tree I've dropped, but it went very well. I think it will be 3/4 to 1 cord.View attachment 237459 View attachment 237459 View attachment 237460 View attachment 237461 View attachment 237462 View attachment 237463

Great job you will love red oak ,give it two years,burns long and hot,steady.The saw is like mine,best i've ever owned.However i needed more ass for this monster dropped two years ago,haven't burned one piece yet.