Dry Firewood,long log orders,$140/cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about your part of the country, but that would be pretty steep here in the Northeast, particularly for anything other than hardwood. However, your local economy is probably different and it would pay to check around with other wood burners or others here on Hearth.com to try to get an idea of what a cord of wood in log form is worth where you are. Regardless of location, however, a full cord of wood measures 4x4x8' or any combination that results in 128 cubic feet when stacked. It's a lot easier to calculate when it's stacked on a truck, but you can get a pretty good idea by measuring piles on the ground. If you're not pressed for wood, I wouldn't rush into anything without more information.

Around here split firewood is going for right around $300 per cord. As Eric said, 128 cu. ft. equals a cord. If you think the price is right and they are delivering true cords in log length then go ahead and stockpile. A cord of whole rounds, when split and stacked, will yield more than a cord of wood. There is talk all over a couple of the boards that I frequent about the price of oil and NG going up and what it will do to the price of firewood. If $140 is a good price now, it might be a great price by next year.

The price depends on your area. I can get a cord of wood cut and split but I have to pick up for $100-$140. If it is a good deal and you have the room to process it, go for it. In Virginia, that is not a good deal.

I can get log length, hardwoods delivered for $60 a cord. I am a long ways away from your local though. A buck forty sounds pretty steep to me when you consider that YOU will be doing the hard work to make this into firewood.

I'd wait too. On the wet side of our state I was paid less than 100$ per cord for chunks of log when bought 4.5 cords at a time.

Highbeam said:
I'd wait too. On the wet side of our state I was paid less than 100$ per cord for chunks of log when bought 4.5 cords at a time.

I'm over in the Cle Elum/Roslyn area, and I think wood is higher over here, from what I've seen on Craigslist. It's particularly cheap on the Peninsula I noticed.

Wow...

In my area, full cords go for $190-$250 dry mixed hard... cut, split and delivered. Most people would gladly pay $100 for chunks or log length.

Cowboy- this is probably softwood. It is not cut. It is not split. Softwood may have as little as 1/2 the BTU's- so double the price and add for cutting and splitting labor... you're talking 2x140 + labor... well over $300 a cord.

WonderingWoman said:
Thanks for the answers, I think I'll wait for now.

Personally, I wouldn`t wait. Same as you, only softwood available around here. Prices are rising monthly. Don`t believe the crap that oil is gonna stay low. It will rise just as sure as Cane did./ Eg: bought my 2 year supply this spring for an average of $170 per cord (csd), now they are asking 190-210). Times are tough and gonna get tougher. Don`t forget, logging curtailment means not so much wood available. My 3 cents worth.

Get all you can while the getting is good. :coolsmile:

I live in Northeast Iowa and was quoted on a $200 per cord with a $50 delivery fee. Supplier lives about 45 miles away. Wood is split and ready to use. I do not know what type of wood it is. I have emailed the supplier, but he has not gotten back to me. My question is this a fair price. I am new to buying firewood as I have purchase a home with a outside wood burning furnance. Thanks for your help.

I can still get 10 cord log length hardwood for $900/ load delivered

What kills me...is this... people that advertise on Craig's List or other's that claim seasoned wood while it is still in log form. I think we know that log length wood cannot be considered seasoned. Logs are typically 16' long when delivered by a pulp truck... What happened to the truth in advertising?

JoeyJ said:
What kills me...is this... people that advertise on Craig's List or other's that claim seasoned wood while it is still in log form. I think we know that log length wood cannot be considered seasoned. Logs are typically 16' long when delivered by a pulp truck... What happened to the truth in advertising?

Never let the truth get in the way of capitalism. It is drier than when standing. :)
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.