drying oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brad wilton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2014
quebec
hi guys just wondering if i dry oak in solar kiln how long would it take to be properly dried .where i plan on putting it is sunny from 9am to 9pm any thoughts thanks

Unless you live in the southern hemisphere, I would be content to throw some tin down and stack it there. No kiln needed.

Sun at 9PM in March? Where is your localle? That sounds like South Mexico to me.

I am in Dixie...

i'm in canada, thinking for over the summer.everybody says 2 to 3 years drying time just wondering if it can be done quicker?

i'm in canada, thinking for over the summer.everybody says 2 to 3 years drying time just wondering if it can be done quicker?
Yes it can be i dont know about your location but i can get it to 20% in a year and a half here just about everything else in a year and some in 6 months

Cut it on the smaller side, this will help....

my area average 86 can go higher and lower but very high humidity

Red oak seems to dry better for me split to four or five inch pieces. Still, anything over three years is a plus with oak.

Im considering building a kiln as well. In tn we can get 30+ days in a row over 90*. But for wood I gather too late in the season I'd like to speed up the process. Now having a Cat stove I think its a necessity ...

Status
Not open for further replies.