drying wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, except this guy covers the whole stack all the way to the ground, and stretches the plastic tight and weighs it down with cinder blocks. And like I said, we rarely get any rain at all here in the summer................

NP

Nonprophet said:
Yeah, except this guy covers the whole stack all the way to the ground, and stretches the plastic tight and weighs it down with cinder blocks. And like I said, we rarely get any rain at all here in the summer................

NP

Surprisingly common around here. Piled straight on the ground, unsplit, and covered tightly under a blue tarp. I've been the beneficiary of free wood stored this way, and it's always slimy and covered in fungus. A couple of months with airflow, and it's fine again. I guess people are worried about rain, but it seems pretty obvious that sealing up your wood pile will prevent it from ever drying. Guy down the street always has creosote dripping from his chimney cap.

I've seen the full tarp method up in VT. It makes me scratch my head...but different strokes for different folks. I just feel bad because it's been such a wet summer and I'm sure that just causes the wood to wick up that much more moisture from the ground.

Well the weather here has turned more to a Septemberish feeling. 50's in the Am, sunny and breezy. An excellent day to to fire up the saw. I can hear my wood piles drying.

Its got to dry. I'm impatiently patient, too. I want to see my new moisture meter tell me how my stacks are drying,
but I've gotten excess rain, too. But rain is just surface water. I've de-barked what I could easily, and split to about
5" or less, so I'm letting the warm weather, and the occasional sun, do its job.
(But I'm not "hearing my wood dry", like others are saying!) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.