Dual Primary vs Primary/Secondary Loop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

duc852

Jun 28, 2022
New England
My house is a long 1-story with 2 furnaces on either end of the house. I'll be running Pex into the house through a single access point, and then on to each furnace separately.

Any advice on whether I should use a Primary loop into the house, and then 2 secondary loops to each furnace, or run 2 separate primary loops from the OWB to each furnace? I am more concerned with heating efficiency rather than the cost of the underground pipe.

thx for thoughts.

I’d use a boiler/primary into the house, then a separate supply and return to each furnace off the primary with closely spaced Ts.

You could also feed into a 2” manifold, feed both furnaces from the manifold and have future take offs for DHW, spa, slab heating etc etc.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I've gotten the same input from a few sources now so I think this is the way I'll go. Of course, we only want to dig that trench once, so it was worth a little extra consideration imo.

If cost isn't an issue I'd bury 1 1/4" or maybe even 1 1/2" pipe, especially if you are far away. Or maybe even two runs of 1" pipe. With two furnaces, I doubt 1" at 8GPM max will be able to satisfy the full load of both furnaces on the coldest day(s).