Dumping wood in asphalt driveway - damage concerns??

gazerbeam06070 Posted By gazerbeam06070, Feb 12, 2019 at 10:14 AM

1. gazerbeam06070

gazerbeam06070
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2018
    Loc:
    Hi All - I moved into a new home with an asphalt driveway that frankly looks better than most.

I've never dumped a load of wood onto asphalt.

Will that damage to appearance? Will a tarp protect it?

Dumping on the grass is not an option due to the layout and landscaping.

Thanks

2. SeanBB

SeanBB
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 15, 2016
    Loc:
    Wales
    If it was really hot weather and the load was dumped from a height it may cause some damage but I am sure if you are careful it will be fine. A tarp will make the clear up a lot easier.

D8Chumley and gazerbeam06070 like this.
  3. kborndale

kborndale
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 9, 2008
    Loc:
    LI
    I have had cords of wood dumped on my asphalt driveway in july when it was 90F and it did no damage.

gazerbeam06070 likes this.
  4. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    The wood will be fine. You're just planning to burn it, anyway, so if a little bark gets knocked off or a few pieces get dented, no big deal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    coutufr and Stinkpickle like this.
  5. bryankloos

bryankloos
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    Weston, CT
    My concern would be more the potential damage to the driveway from hte tires of the dump truck. Assuming he doesn't drive over any edges, you should be fine...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ED 3000 likes this.
  6. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    Yep, the edges are the weak spot. Our roofer had to spring for about 20' of new edge when the dumpster truck veered off. Always a risk with heavy trucks.

7. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    I dump wood in my driveway all the time.. its not a problem for the wood or the asphalt ..dump away and get splitting and stacking

8. hickoryhoarder

hickoryhoarder
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 5, 2013
    Loc:
    Indiana
    I have a truckload of wood dumped on our asphalt driveway every other year. You cannot tell that area from the rest of the driveway. I just sweep up the crumbs when I'm done stacking, and after a rain it's back to normal. Like someone said above, I would not do this in hot weather.