Duravent installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dg0712

Sep 18, 2023
Massachusetts
Is this an ok Duravent installation on new Jotul gas stove . It was scratched up during installation and not as nice as what it replaced
My old vent pipe did not have those grooves and had a more finished look . I’m thinking this was not done right ??
Also, Not sure how to touch up the scratches

IMG_5379.jpeg IMG_5383.jpeg IMG_5385.jpeg IMG_5379.jpeg IMG_5378.jpeg

Looks like this happened adjusting telescoping pipe. The fitment between the adjustable end and fixed part is very snug. You want to only make minor adjustments when fitting. The installer should come back with the correct, matching paint and retouch the scratches and be sure that there are 3 screws per joint securing the system.

Reactions: Lennox65 and Dg0712
Looks like this happened adjusting telescoping pipe. The fitment between the adjustable end and fixed part is very snug. You want to only make minor adjustments when fitting. The installer should come back with the correct, matching paint and retouch the scratches and be sure that there are 3 screws per joint securing the system.
Ok thank you ! just did not feel like it looked finished with the rough edges where it looks like small pipe was cut and those grooves on the small pipe compared to by previous 25 year old set up see attached file .I asked him about the paint and he said they used to carry it in their truck but don’t anymore because it would always freeze so I could reach out to the people we bought the stove from. I did and they’re going to give us spray paint but I didn’t really feel like doing that after spending so much money to have it installed.

Ok thank you ! just did not feel like it looked finished with the rough edges where it looks like small pipe was cut and those grooves on the small pipe compared to by previous 25 year old set up see attached file .I asked him about the paint and he said they used to carry it in their truck but don’t anymore because it would always freeze so I could reach out to the people we bought the stove from. I did and they’re going to give us spray paint but I didn’t really feel like doing that after spending so much money to have it installed.
Also those few holes without screws should have them right ?

Also those few holes without screws should have them right ?
Not if they are on the sliding section. There should be 3 screws per joint on all other fittings.

I asked him about the paint and he said they used to carry it in their truck but don’t anymore because it would always freeze
That's a bit of a weak excuse. Truck cabs are heated. Bring the can back into the shop at the end of the day. The paint has to be at least 50º to use anyway. Also, retouching the pipe requires a bit of skill and one should be wearing a mask. That shouldn't be on the homeowner.

What happened is the pipe was raise too much (about 4") to clear the flue collar. When it was dropped back down it scratched the pipe.

Not if they are on the sliding section. There should be 3 screws per joint on all other fittings.

That's a bit of a weak excuse. Truck cabs are heated. Bring the can back into the shop at the end of the day. The paint has to be at least 50º to use anyway. Also, retouching the pipe requires a bit of skill and one should be wearing a mask. That shouldn't be on the homeowner.

What happened is the pipe was raise too much (about 4") to clear the flue collar. When it was dropped back down it scratched the pipe.
Thanks again for your help . It’s not as nice looking as my previous installation but as long as done right it’s fine
And looks like that small middle pipe was cut at the bottom because the back of the pipe fits perfect but there is a small gap in front where you can see metal . If this is ok then I’ll leave it alone
And those screw holes are on the part that slides onto the middle small pipe