DVD/VCR Combo reccomendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
My current RCA VCR/DVD recording combo is on its last legs.

After looking for the last 3 weeks at different models including Samsung, JCL, Panasonic, Sony and Toshibia.
I really haven't found any that have a good rating.
When reading the reviews I see everything from the best thing since sliced bread to total junk.

What I am looking for is a DVD/VCR recording combo that will up-convert the VCR/DVD creating a better picture on my HD TV.

What do you recommend?

Hi,
My name is Ugly and I'm an electronics junkie. It's been two days since I last spent money on electronics and I'm holding on tight for another day with the support of the good people here at Electronics Anonymous...

Seriously, I probably have every gadget under the sun. My take on it is that a combo device is the worst of both worlds as opposed to the best of both. Since VCR's are almost free, (even good ones with nice head/audio options) I see a lot of nice ones coming through the live auctions for a buck or two.

Is there a special reason for a combo? Your modern TV or panel will have a number of input selections as will your stereo amp. If it's just to play back video tapes, I'd stick with a seperate unit (my kids has a lot of old kids movies tapes his grandfather finds them all the place). If you want to do some occasional recording, DVD recorders are quite inexpensive now and are sold in combination with upscaling playback features.

I haven't seen a combo unit I'd recommend however, I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful in that regard. If it was just for the kids room or something I'd buy a cheap venturer at Wally World and milk the warranty.

Mish,

As far as I know all current DVD/VCR combos have analog tuners, hence the distressed (low) prices for the last year. I usually purchase by brand reputation. So I would choose by the best in quality and performance. Sony would be one of the leaders in my book.

Enjoy converting those old VHS taped to DVD by a warm wood stove.

I agree with ugly (man that sounds rude, but there we are).

I went through two brand new combo units in a week and a half time many moons ago. As noted, you get the worst of both worlds rather than the best...you get a decent VCR and a decent DVD player in a package thats probably not as intuitive to use as you really might want.

Your best bet is to get separate components and live a happier life. Buy a good VCR, you can get them for $50-80 these days for a top of the line model...this will probably be the last VCR you buy since it will a) last longer than your tapes and b) it probably isn't used constantly like they were 10 years ago except for maybe replaying kids tapes. That way you don't have to go out and replace your perfectly good VCR because your DVD stopped working...or vice versa.

Get yourself a Blu-ray player or a DVD-R with upconvert capability. To my knowledge though, you have zero chance of finding a device that will allow you to upconvert your tapes to dub them to a DVD for burning. Your tapes are at their maximum quality already.

Status
Not open for further replies.