DVL to Excel flue extension ... help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BamaRama

Apr 18, 2015
Colorado
New install. The fit seems a little loose. The DVL inner sleeve has a no-friction fit to the Excel flue connector at the support box. Maybe 1/8" play. I read an older thread where Webby said to use 1" screws through the DVL and into the flue connector. Since there's no friction in the connection, I'm not sure I can get a tight fit. And I'm concerned about gasses escaping through loose connection and i cant find a better way of doing it.

Also, the DVL inner sleeve slips tightly into the stove collar but stops before the outer DVL pipe completely covers the stove collar. It's sitting up about 1/2". The DVL intructions says if the inner sleeve slip into the stove connector, no adapter is required. Will i be okay without an adapter?

TIA
David

Bump?

I don’t expect the outer shell of double wall to set down on the stove. Always seems to stop about 1/2” above. And I don’t screw double wall to the stove, it would crush the outer wall.

What stove is this?
The DVL sits up about 3/8" on our stove collar. Works great. Ours has 3 screws securing it per directions. I marked the DVL with the flue collar hole locations and predrilled clearance holes for the screws. No problem with crushing the pipe. Just stop screwing them in when they make contact. With the risk of puffbacks and earthquakes I always secure the pipe to the stove.
IMG_1104.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam
It an Englander Madison. Having different results at the stove collar with different DVL sections. The inner sleeve of the 6" section that i posted about earlier would slide into the stove. None of the other sections will fit, so I'll use an adapter.

In regards to the loose fit at the flue extension, I found a solution I'm confident with. I picked up a piece of 6" single wall pipe, cut a 3/4 band off of the uncrimped end, and slid it onto the flue extension as far as it will go to act as a shim. When the DVL goes over it, it's a snug fit that will hold itself in place so screws can be installed. The screws went through both layers of pipe, the shim, and the flue extension.