Easiest/cheapest wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
Its time for me to plan and builda permanent structure. I'm sick of tarps ripping and pallets rotting out on me. I have cleared the area of my oak and burned the pallets. The area is roughly 8x6. I'm looking to add posts and a metal or plastic roof. Should I build a base with those cement blocks that allow 2x6 into them on a compacted 3/4 stone base? I can probably dig down a little bit if I wanted to set posts and use a 4x4 but its fairly rocky so I'm unsure if I'd be able to get them all deep enough. This is a picture of the area. I want to slope the roof back where the pallets are over the fence. I've read posts but looking for my best options for this area. Thanks!

20211205_120007.jpg20211205_115958.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my wood sheds has old pieces of field fence stapled to logs resting on concrete blocks to make the floor. It is open on both sides so no need to stand in it. The floor is separate from the top.
The top is built on four 4x4 pressure treated posts and 2x4 rafters. Old metal roofing keeps most of the rain off the firewood.

Now Shorty I think you should rest the 2x6 into those blocks and it would be less digging for you "if you can get a little even with the rocky ground" and if you wanted to you could move it as well after taking it apart of course--lol..I would do that--Yes...Now arman...that field fence sounds like a good idea but would not that be big spaces in it as well as being sharp--sounds like more work to me then just wood slats..clancey