Echo CS-400 Pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KenLockett

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2011
Eastern Upstate NY
Hey guys looking at an Echo CS-400 that looks a little older (I say that because it has the metal handle - newer ones I see at HD have all plastic) but appears to be in Excellent condition. Is $100 a reasonable price?

It's a great runner, needing nothing, ready to cut? = great deal
It has scored P&C, check valve damaged carb? = I wouldn't pay $30 for it because Echo parts are so high.

Reactions: Jazzberry
Hey guys looking at an Echo CS-400 that looks a little older (I say that because it has the metal handle - newer ones I see at HD have all plastic) but appears to be in Excellent condition. Is $100 a reasonable price?

What's your time worth? Or the satisfaction of a trusty and capable saw? I would just close my eyes when it comes to price and buy a Stihl. The 50cc 026 I bought 20 years ago has only needed $50 worth of parts and under 1 hour of my time (excluding normal sharpening, cleaning and an occasional adjustment here/there). It cuts like many 60cc saws while only burning the fuel/oil of some 40cc saws. It fires right up, every time, even after put away wet for 6 months. I think I paid about $350 back in 1997 (which seemed like a lot). But it was worth every penny and then some!

Unless you aren't happy if you're not tinkering with something. I did order an Echo case a few days ago for my MS 261 c-m. It looks a lot nicer and more functional than the Stihl case (and I'm not into branding so I don't care that it says "Echo" on it). Have a look:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ERER49A/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Standard answer: Echo has lower power to weight ratio than Stihl or Husqvarna, but they do have a history of making fairly reliable saws.

Looking at the spec's, they don't list much go to on, but two things do jump out at me:

1. They list 10.1 lb. dry power head weight for a 40cc saw. That's a little heavy for that displacement, but really not all that bad, considering the Stihl MS 241 C-M is only 9.9 lb. for 43 cc.

2. They list a totally unrealistic 18" standard bar length on a 40cc saw! Holy crap, would that ever be painfully slow. My 36cc saw just barely runs a 14" bar wearing pico chain, when buried nose-deep. I run 19" of bar (a 20" bar with big bucking dogs) on my 63cc saw, and even that slows when I put it nose-deep in oak. I would not run any bar larger than 16" on a 40cc saw, unless it has a real small sprocket (old-school-slow chain speed).

That said, $100 is 1/3 of the new price, so if it's in good running shape, it seems like a good deal. If I were interested, I'd pull the muffler, check the piston for scoring (2 minute job), and buy if clean. Then I'd pick up a 14" or 16" bar to slap on it. You could always eBay the 18" bar and chains, or keep them for the occasions when you need to buck something over 28" diameter (14" bar from both sides) with that saw.

Can you tell if a piston or cylinder is scored just by listening to the saw run? Any perceived sounds and/or power loss that obviously evident? Any thing else?

Maybe someone could, but I'd take 30 seconds and pull the muffler to check it, myself.

Sound is not really helpful re: P&C. Best is to pull muffler and look at piston, ring and cyl intake wall. Pull plug and look at piston top and cyl exhaust wall. Rope pull tells of compression - hard to pull is good (unless hydrolock). Hold rope handle and let go of saw. Lug..........Lug..........Lug is good. Lug..Lug..Lug is bad. Running saw and cutting wood tells of compression - is saw strong or bogs down under load?

Running saw and cutting wood tells of compression - is saw strong or bogs down under load?
LOL... it's a 40cc saw wearing a 20" bar. It is going to bog under load, whether new or toast.

Where does Echo parts are expensive come from, they are a lot cheaper than OEM Stihl and Husky parts, a new piston kit is $42 for a CS400 and a new cylinder kit is under $100. Try buying Stihl or Husky OEM parts, sure you can get after
market junk for less if you want. Far as power to weight I'll run my muff modded CS400 against any 40cc saw and a lot of 50+ cc saws any day and ready to cut it weighs 13# even which is light. I do a lot of custom sawmilling and a lot that use one of my CS400 saws want to know where to get one. Plus you can buy 2 for the price of 1 Stihl. The 2 best buys out there are The Echo CS400 and the CS590 hands down. Steve

A cs-400 just went up on my local Craigslist for $150, new in the box. Not that it does you any good.

I picked up a used CS-400 at Home Depot on a whim.... was marked to $125, looked brand new. Return sticker said wouldn't start. They guaranteed it to run and gave a 30 day warranty.

That was 2 years ago. I put on 1 16" bar... can't remember if it came with 18 or 20 but it's been a great saw. I remember when I first got it, read up on "tuning" the saw and had to break a plastic washer under the H/L screws to adjust. Reasoning was the EPA has the saws running too lean. I don't have a tach or anything so just eyeballed it and followed instructions.

Saw runs like a champ. Use it mainly for limbing and small stuff but have bucked about 2-3 cords with it when a buddy's saw crapped out. If it died tomorrow, I wouldn't feel cheated at all.