Econoburn EWB 300 short burn time and high stack temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mark cline

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2012
Cattaraugus, NY
I have been running my 300 for about 2 weeks and always had short burn times and stack temperatures up to 580F. I load the boiler up to the bottom of the loading door on an initial load and on a reload . So we are talking about 25 mixed hardwood splits both times . I recently installed a PID controller to monitor temps. After an hr of lighting , the temps climb up to 450 , then suddenly climb to 550 plus. The spin air controls under the fan cover are set at 2 1/2 turns open, the draft wheel on the fan is set at 2 1/2” at the widest point on the 2 pie shaped openings. Burn time about 2 1/2 hrs. On a reload, same amount of wood , the temperature will climb to 580 at about the 1 hr mark and slowly decrease over the next 2 hrs. I can raise the 1500 gallons of storage from 120 to 180 in this 5 1/2 hr time frame . Am I missing something? Flue pipe is 16’ of double wall stainless 8” . The boiler is essentially new with Econoburn, doing a total rehab which included a total replacement of the back of the boiler and heat exchanger. Airlina has been coaching me along on the startup , great thanks to him, but I’m at a loss as to what can correct this problem.

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
Sounds to me like you need less air going through the boiler...can you close that fan down more? What's your chimney draft?

Reactions: cumminstinkerer

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Why are you loading 1/2 loads?
Try closing off your openings a bit.
I know another Econoburn user has had luck in throttling down the air going into the boiler.He has made some additional regulating flaps for slowing the flow.I believe he is on the right track.
I have thought for a while mine was getting to much air as well.
I havn't messed with mine yet because life hasn't given me time to make the boiler a priority.
My system works well,11 years and i know that if we get a stretch of -40 weather i don't have to worry.I know how much i will burn and when i have to start the fire.
One day maybe next fall i will have some time to tweak it.And insulate my piping in the boiler building.
An easy tweak would be to be able to slow the fan down with a adjustable dial.Not sure if the fan motor would be happy doing that.
Thomas

cumminstinkerer

Burning Hunk
Feb 2, 2016
central iowa
I am the Other user @salecker mentioned, I was having the same issues as you are only with my 100. I tried slowing the fan down as an experiment, but that didn't work well as it slows the secondary air down as well, my solution has been to remove the fan mounting plate and created plates the are adjustable like the secondary air screws that regulate the primary air. It was fairly easy and the only thing you are changing physically with the boiler is adding to holes in that fan plate, I welded nuts to the back side but you also thread the plate. It has greatly improved my burn times, from 1.5 hours out to 2.5-3 and the flue temps are now only briefly spiking above 500F for maybe 15 minutes at peak burn. I need to add longer adjusting screws so I don't have to remove the fan cover, design oversight ( I was in a huge hurry that night). I also need to replace my nozzle as it is badly worn, I think caused by the over air causing ash/coals to fly through eroding the nozzle. Once the nozzle is replaced I will fine tune some more but the results are very promising. @airlina also has a 100 and we have talked a lot and he has been a great help but for some reason his behaves totally different than mine. I would be glad to help, I think I have some pictures of the flaps I can send you, shoot me a PM with your number.
Jason

cumminstinkerer

Burning Hunk
Feb 2, 2016
central iowa
@mark cline also visually inspect the bypass flap, mine was not sealing properly, the arm it hooks to had gotten bent, I bought the boiler 3rd hand but the second owner never used it, I think it was treated very poorly. I really do find it interesting that two identical boilers can behave so differently, I cant explain it, mine and Airlina's are the same thing but for some unknown reason mine either flows too much primary air or wants less, makes no sense but I can promise the mods to mine made a different boiler out of it. @goosegunner had similar issues with a 150 and eventually got rid of it because of that, now others I've talked with have had perfect plug and play if you will luck. Good luck and feel free to get in touch.

mark cline

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2012
Cattaraugus, NY
Loading half loads as you call it , comes down to getting familiar with the boiler and 2 loads that size bring my storage up to 180F also a little leary with the high temperatures.

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Ok i see
I usually don't have time to mess with 1/2 loads except at the end of loading my storage.
First fire of the day gets assembled in the fire box with the initial burn with bypass open,the upper chamber gets filled to the top.I assemble the wood in a way that seems to work well,have never had a fire not catch and burn. With storage i have had power go out after a full load and no issues.
What are you using to measure your stack temperature? I just have a cheepo mag that i found.

mark cline

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2012
Cattaraugus, NY
Going to take off the front panel that the fan is attached to, later today. This morning when the fire was out, I turned the fan on and there was not much air coming out of the rear nozzle. Really not much coming out of the front either.
My thinking is this.... the blower provides the majority of the pressure through the nozzle and the secondary provides heated air for ignition?????? Always had the fire light , but have a hard time getting the secondary to light unless the flue temp and the firebox is hot like 375plus.
PID temperature controller was just installed , I always suspected high flue temperatures , needed a way to monitor and provide end of burn shut down.

cumminstinkerer

Burning Hunk
Feb 2, 2016
central iowa
@mark cline I did verify my PID with two other BBQ probes and it is within a couple degrees, I wondered the same thing, I forgot to mention earlier, make sure the anti backdraft flap/s aren't stuck closed, have had that too, I really wonder if you don't have the drill burrs in the secondary tubes or a chunk of s**t in one or both of them