Econoburn EWB 300 short burn time and high stack temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Face cord doesn't exist as a legal measurement
I burn between 8-10 cords of spruce per winter

You guys are making me happy I built a small house , I always have 16 face cords on hand just in case, but only burn 12 per year . Thats early nov. till end of march . Western NY , Econoburn 100 with 500 gallons storage , baseboard heat and a living room woodstovethat i'll use when it gets real cold. Sorry Thomas but here around where we live in NY , most everybody deals in face cords so when in Rome... Bruce

Reactions: SSweet9c1
You guys are making me happy I built a small house , I always have 16 face cords on hand just in case, but only burn 12 per year . Thats early nov. till end of march . Western NY , Econoburn 100 with 500 gallons storage , baseboard heat and a living room woodstovethat i'll use when it gets real cold. Sorry Thomas but here around where we live in NY , most everybody deals in face cords so when in Rome... Bruce
A face cord doesn't give you any real data because the wood could be any length.
How can a face cord of 12" wood compare with a face cord of 24" wood?Different prices? defiantly twice the wood in the later
If i was forced to buy face cords i would order 4' length's

I totally understand that logic Thomas and you're absolutely correct, but that will never apply to me because I will never buy a face cord , because I always cut my own from my land. Between deadstanding and blow downs, Its a never ending supply. I give you credit for getting by with most exclusively spruce . We are lucky around here to have lots of hardwoods (maple ,cherry , elm , beech etc) and they are my first choice , but the beauty of a gasifier is being able to burn the softwoods too, some occassional pine, spruce, aspen , if they need to come down i don't waste them. Bruce

Correct me if I am mistaken, but a full cord of wood is 4'X4'X8' right?
So a face cord is 1/3rd of that, so 4' X18"X8' Ie it's based on 18" firewood pieces..
I'm not saying it's a legal definition, but it's the common unit of measure...
When I cut wood I try to average 18" (also the length of the bar I run on both saws, unless I get into a significant number of bigger trunks, then I put the 25" bar on the 362.
But for general cutting I prefer the shorter bar, make's the saw less nose heavy, and it keeps me from cultivating the earth at the end of the day when I'm tired! lol

I was wrong too, I store 31 face cords (or 10.3333 cords for those who don't like to do the math) :p :D And I try to have at least a few face cords left over. That's burning from around the first of November, through April ish.. In the shoulder seasons I can usually get by only lighting the boiler every other day or so, if it's not too cold out...
Jon

Mark, My wood shed is 22'X40' but that includes the boiler room with the storage tanks etc, and I have my lawnmower, table saw, gator, occasionally I bring a tractor down from the farm etc... A few random half finished projects I've started lol

Generally I cut all my own wood from our farm, or from neighbors that have trees taken down.. I also get loads from a couple tree guys that are in my area and always looking for a place to drop a load, but that tends to be more of a pain.. Last year a buddy of mine was clearing a building site for a house (he has an excavating company) and I ended up with 7, 16' dump trailer loads of log length fire wood for free, I paid a local kid with a firewood processor to come process it, took 6 hours and I had more firewood than I could fit! lol I ended up giving some to my parents, and a couple buddies that cut wood with me (for their houses) None of our wives let us cut wood alone so we get together and have firewood work days...

Correct me if I am mistaken, but a full cord of wood is 4'X4'X8' right?
So a face cord is 1/3rd of that, so 4' X18"X8' Ie it's based on 18" firewood pieces..
I'm not saying it's a legal definition, but it's the common unit of measure...
When I cut wood I try to average 18" (also the length of the bar I run on both saws, unless I get into a significant number of bigger trunks, then I put the 25" bar on the 362.
But for general cutting I prefer the shorter bar, make's the saw less nose heavy, and it keeps me from cultivating the earth at the end of the day when I'm tired! lol

I was wrong too, I store 31 face cords (or 10.3333 cords for those who don't like to do the math) :p :D And I try to have at least a few face cords left over. That's burning from around the first of November, through April ish.. In the shoulder seasons I can usually get by only lighting the boiler every other day or so, if it's not too cold out...
Jon

No, a face cord is not necessarily 1/3 of a cord. It might be if your wood is 16" long. But what if you burn 20" wood? Or 24" wood? Or 18?

No, a face cord is not necessarily 1/3 of a cord. It might be if your wood is 16" long. But what if you burn 20" wood? Or 24" wood? Or 18?
Or 12"...

Sorry, I meant it's based on 16" lengths.. (16X3=48) ;lol
If you burn longer or shorter that's on you.. I don't see how that's different from a full cord being 4X4X8? Because if you are burning 24" pieces it's only two rows.. or 16" it's three.. I don't measure it in a pile, as I feel that would be very hard to do, unless it's a pile inside a container (shed) so you can accurately measure L W H....

When I cut up trees I shoot for an average of 16"-18" but as I stack my rows of wood, I put the longest pieces on the bottom, and the shortest near the top... As well as the oddball pieces (crotches, those really short pieces where you had a choice of making 2, 14" rounds, or one 18" and one 10", ) lol I usually do the second option.. If you cut your own firewood it doesn't matter, I just know I need 5 rows in my main wood pile (20' long, 8' high) and 2 rows on the opposite wall (14' long 8' high roughly) to have plenty to get through the winter..

I don't measure the cubic feet because I don't stack my next row up against me last row, I leave a few inches between so they don't lean on each other... Also I throw the little kindling bits down between the stacks, and the crooked oddballs etc. as I go.. It's a nice way to hide and store them for later :)

Either way it doesn't really matter so long as it works.

EDIT: Dammit I can't go back and edit my math mistake in the previous post LOL So now it'll live on forever! _g🤣

My winters wood is 6 rows of 1.25 cords of spruce
I usually start burning near the end of October and burn till end of April or beginning of May.I ussally stop when the weather is nice and starting a fire seems redundant,then my oil boiler will run till i shut it off or the tank runs out of oil.
In the fall i will run my oil boiler on crap diesel i get for free till i run the tank out for winter and fill with winter fuel.
Last year there was 1/2 row left
3 winters ago it was very mind and i quit burning with 2 rows untouched.