Effecta Woodboiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Effecta leaves little room for operator error. The only setting (from a burn perspective) that one can change is the target CO2 %.

Craig - what do you have as your target %?

My installer set it, but 13. 2 if I remember correctly. I have never touched it.
That is what is recommended (lower for super dry wood, a little higher for not so dry wood - mine usually sits at 13%). Wish I could be of more help but that is all the knowledge I have. I was chatting with someone and based on the description of the "petrified ash" he was wondering if maybe your primary is stuck wide open creating a blow torch effect. Lots of very knowledgeable folks on this blog, if you can provide them additional info, I imagine they can help you figure it out - based on my experience I would say that kind of wear is not normal for the Effecta so something unusual is causing it. Good luck.

I likely won't be able to offer any more. I have no experience with the Effecta and can only speak generally. I was kind of thinking of the effect of something like, if fresh damp wood was reloaded relatively often, onto a fire that was just getting going good after the moisture from the previous/current load got driven out - that might make for conditions that would have moisture in the exhaust stream almost constantly, which might be hard on refractories over time.

Mine (not an Effecta) still has the originals after 7 full seasons of burning. It is natural draft though & has no fans, so wouldn't maybe be subject to a forced draft or blowtorch effect that this one might have if something got out of kilter.

Good luck!

Reactions: JohnDolz
I likely won't be able to offer any more. I have no experience with the Effecta and can only speak generally. I was kind of thinking of the effect of something like, if fresh damp wood was reloaded relatively often, onto a fire that was just getting going good after the moisture from the previous/current load got driven out - that might make for conditions that would have moisture in the exhaust stream almost constantly, which might be hard on refractories over time.

Mine (not an Effecta) still has the originals after 7 full seasons of burning. It is natural draft though & has no fans, so wouldn't maybe be subject to a forced draft or blowtorch effect that this one might have if something got out of kilter.

Good luck!
Thank you