Efflorescence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bert2015

Mar 24, 2017
Beds
I recently had a woodburner installed. I had imagined that the original concrete would have been levelled so the hearth sits nicely in. Apparently this was done but remained so uneven that the hearth had to sit on top of a thick concrete layer. This issue was not raised at the time the quote was given. To me this seems odd and now we have a case of efflorescence. Can anyone advise whether it should have been laid like this in the first place.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8468.JPG
    IMG_8468.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_8469.JPG
    IMG_8469.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
I would assume that this is due to the fact that you have moisture wicking up from the original slab. You should be able to clean it off and seal the exposed concrete. Others may be able to tell you what would be an appropriate product. Maybe a waterproofing paint?

I feel like they couldn't be bothered to dig out some of the old concrete- easier to put new on top of the existing. I certainly didn't spend good money on a granite hearth for it to sit on a layer of exposed concrete which is deeper than the granite itself!

I'd clean it up, seal it, then trim it with a nice wood molding.

Reactions: webby3650
There is absolutly nothing you can do to seal moisture in if it is coming up from the slab underneath. But I agee with wood splitter it doesnt nessecarily mean anything on new concrete. I would clean it up and see if it comes back if so then you need to find the source of the water and address that. If it is coming up through it is just going to push off any sealer you put over it.

Bert2015, just to clarify, is this on a slab or on a poured hearth ledge above a basement or crawlspace?

Looks to me that the contractor that did the hearth did a beautiful job! He installed the hearth... the trim needed wouldn't be his department in my opinion. It's an easy fix