EKO 40 "E-2" code - what does it mean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edharring

Dec 2, 2015
new hampshire
Asking for help. My EKO 40 is five years old. I clean it at least once during the heating season here in New Hampshire and after the end of every season. At the end of last year's season, I started getting an "E-2" code on the display panel - not "Fuel". I found several pieces of wood I had loaded (filled the wood chamber up completely each evening), blackened, but not burnt. When I loaded a partial fill, usually half way, the unit burnt all the wood and performed like it always had. I cleaned it again after the last season and then again before this season. I think I am missing something. I have not "tweaked" the settings as they have worked for almost four full heating seasons. My wood has been seasoned for 9-10 months at least. Any help would be most appreciated. Ed

I am not an owner or an expert, but I was sitting around with some time to kill and came up with this manual:
http://www.newhorizoncorp.com/PDF/RK-2001UA-ENG1.pdf
It says this about E2:

[E 2] is displayed if boiler overheats

4.4. Boiler overheating protection
Boiler overheating temperature [A210] - value, exceeding which causes
permanent turn off of the pressure fan and launch of the circulating pump,
to prevent boiler overheating. Overheating mode is indicated by boiler
overheating indicator and by displaying error [E 2] on the display. It can
be turned off by pressing STOP button, but only when temperature
decreases below boiler overheating temperature.

If you're positive it's not overheating, maybe a bad sensor or connector.
From my measly car experience, though, it might be good to first trust the gauges.

I am not an owner or an expert, but I was sitting around with some time to kill and came up with this manual:
http://www.newhorizoncorp.com/PDF/RK-2001UA-ENG1.pdf
It says this about E2:

[E 2] is displayed if boiler overheats

4.4. Boiler overheating protection
Boiler overheating temperature [A210] - value, exceeding which causes
permanent turn off of the pressure fan and launch of the circulating pump,
to prevent boiler overheating. Overheating mode is indicated by boiler
overheating indicator and by displaying error [E 2] on the display. It can
be turned off by pressing STOP button, but only when temperature
decreases below boiler overheating temperature.

If you're positive it's not overheating, maybe a bad sensor or connector.
From my measly car experience, though, it might be good to first trust the gauges.

Many thanks! I actually have looked at the manual a few times, but missed the part you note above - was just looking at the codes and didn't read further. My lack of attention to detail. I. too, will trust the gauges first.

Many thanks! I actually have looked at the manual a few times, but missed the part you note above - was just looking at the codes and didn't read further. My lack of attention to detail. I. too, will trust the gauges first.
what temp do you have the dial set at? 190 is max but mine is set at 172 with no storage since it will idle when house tstat is satisfied. I even have a heater that draws heat for the barn circulating at all times which I bet pulls off 10kbtu or so. I also set the fan at 50% which helps reduce output and cause less idling.

I had that problem a few times with my biomass and I found out it was a bad capacitor in the controller that wasn't running the pump sometimes and caused overheat.

It took me a while to figure it out because sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. it was always getting power but sometimes not enough to run the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.