EKO 40 silicon door seals and the new refractory brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, it's that bigger black one on the left under the red power cable cover. You can see that it's starting to erupt out the top.

Question for Medman: Would replacing it with a 20v capacitor like you did make it more robust. Since I've blown two, I assume it's going to happen again once I get it fixed.

capacitor2.jpg

OK, it's that bigger black one on the left under the red power cable cover. You can see that it's starting to erupt out the top.

Question for Medman: Would replacing it with a 20v capacitor like you did make it more robust. Since I've blown two, I assume it's going to happen again once I get it fixed.

capacitor2.jpg

It's fine to replace a cap with a higher voltage.

Do you know what the uF rating is. I should pick one up for my spare parts bin.

2200 uF and 16v is what it says on the capacitor. That's all I know.

2200 uF and 16v is what it says on the capacitor. That's all I know.

Thanks.

Any chance you know the specs of the capacitor on your original rk 2001? I'm wondering if they have changed to lower quality caps or perhaps 16 volts is borderline. When capacitors are are run at or slightly above there ratings they tend to wear out about when your warranty does.

As I have documented in another thread, it is an internal capacitor failure that causes the problems with the 2001U. It is an extremely simple fix that any TV repair shop can do if you dont feel up to it yourself. I replaced mine and had no problems afterward.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67513/

https://www.hearth.com/talk/posts/854882/

This is why HEARTH.COM is so great! Thanks webbie for starting it!

My 2001AT2 is a bit different inside. But the power supply is still dampened with the same cap. 2200microfarad but it's rated for 25V instear of 16V so maybe they beefed it up due to the known failure. The controller runs at 12V. I'm still going to get a spare.

TS

OK, y'all, I just ordered some 2200uF 25v capacitors and a soldering iron and I'm psyched. A little practice on some old circuit boards and I should be back in business before you know it. What am I going to do with two spare controllers? Who knows? Maybe sell them on Ebay as RK 2001U "upgrades."

Status
Not open for further replies.