Electric chain sharpener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
I have been throwing around the idea of getting one for over a year. I have done a lot of research and read numerous articles and reviews. I was set on an oregon 620-120. After doing more research, I found that tecomec makes the grinders for oregon. The tecomec super jolly is the comparable unit to what I was looking at. I also found that tecomec makes it for stens as well. The Oregon unit are selling for $370 to $400. After doing some reading, maverick mower supply has the stens model for $288 shipped. I ordered it and 3 days later it came in. I unpacked it and it is in a tecomec box with super jolly name on it. It's a legit machine. So if anyone is interested in one, the stens unit is $100 cheaper than the oregon and tecomec. I used yesterday evening for a bit after a day of ruining 4 chains(why people need to nail and put metal things on trees is beyond me), it works great. Lots of learning to do.

I have been throwing around the idea of getting one for over a year. I have done a lot of research and read numerous articles and reviews. I was set on an oregon 620-120. After doing more research, I found that tecomec makes the grinders for oregon. The tecomec super jolly is the comparable unit to what I was looking at. I also found that tecomec makes it for stens as well. The Oregon unit are selling for $370 to $400. After doing some reading, maverick mower supply has the stens model for $288 shipped. I ordered it and 3 days later it came in. I unpacked it and it is in a tecomec box with super jolly name on it. It's a legit machine. So if anyone is interested in one, the stens unit is $100 cheaper than the oregon and tecomec. I used yesterday evening for a bit after a day of ruining 4 chains(why people need to nail and put metal things on trees is beyond me), it works great. Lots of learning to do.
Stens model 700-010

Reactions: thewoodlands
Stens model 700-010
I've had an Oregon 109179, it has paid for itself. Make sure your settings are correct and the chains are clean before they go on and the more time you spend on it the better you'll get.

I still like taking down the rakers with a file but that might change if or when I get a grinding wheel just for the rakers.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I've had an Oregon 109179, it has paid for itself. Make sure your settings are correct and the chains are clean before they go on and the more time you spend on it the better you'll get.

I still like taking down the rakers with a file but that might change if or when I get a grinding wheel just for the rakers.
I plan on doing the takers with a file also for now anyways. It came with a wheel for them. I got a lot of learning to do.

I plan on doing the takers with a file also for now anyways. It came with a wheel for them. I got a lot of learning to do.
I'm still learning after having the Oregon for 7 plus years, it's always nice when you're not waiting for your chains from the local shop, especially during their busy season.

What angle are you sharpening your chains at, 30 or 35?

I still hand file my chains but when I'm out cutting and hit something I use a Timberline and a stump vise on the 325 and 404. My issue with grinders is, they remove too much tooth when grinding. Besides, I have to hand file my square tooth chipper chains on the big saws.

I'm still learning after having the Oregon for 7 plus years, it's always nice when you're not waiting for your chains from the local shop, especially during their busy season.

What angle are you sharpening your chains at, 30 or 35?
Semi chisel 30, chisel at 25. I experimented with one of the semi chisels on my 550 and filled 35 with bar mount sharpener. Didnt see any real difference so I will put it back to 30.

I still hand file my chains but when I'm out cutting and hit something I use a Timberline and a stump vise on the 325 and 404. My issue with grinders is, they remove too much tooth when grinding. Besides, I have to hand file my square tooth chipper chains on the big saws.
I will still hand file my chains out when I'm cutting. The electric sharpener will be nice to get them back true and even every once in a while. I havent really noticed taking too much material off a cutter other than getting them evened up and fixing the chain I hit a piece of metal with.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
I bought one of the Northern Tool electric sharpeners probably ten years ago for $79. Does everything I ask, and my chains seem to function ok with it.

For my skill level, I don’t think a sharpener that cost five times what my Northern house brand did would improve my cutting efficiency one bit, certainly not enough to justify the additional cost.

The Northern unit I have is a much more substantial machine that the HF unit I have seen, though.

Semi chisel 30, chisel at 25. I experimented with one of the semi chisels on my 550 and filled 35 with bar mount sharpener. Didnt see any real difference so I will put it back to 30.
I had changed my chains to 35 and left them there, some people say the 30 will stay sharp longer.

I did hand file the rakers down on five or six chains today and then sharpened two of them with a round file.

I had changed my chains to 35 and left them there, some people say the 30 will stay sharp longer.

I did hand file the rakers down on five or six chains today and then sharpened two of them with a round file.
Can I ask why you had to change yours to 35 degrees?

Can I ask why you had to change yours to 35 degrees?
I did it because of a certain member on here years ago and just left them at 35. The shop that sharpened my chains years ago always sharpened them at 30.