Electric Fireplace Experience Anyone ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ARGlock

Feeling the Heat
Aug 24, 2010
Arkansas
We have a friend that is on oxygen and is wanting an electric fireplace. Would anyone have any experience with the different brands of electric fireplaces: Dimplex, Napoleon, Modern Flames etc.? Please post your opinions.

This post may not fit in The Pellet Mill so sorry for this. This is where I normally post for pellet stove issues. I did not see another category that would apply to electric fireplaces but may have overlooked it. Admin please move this thread if needed.

Thanks!

AR

Are they looking at it for heat or just looks? If for heat look at the heat output and energy used. Do not want to set them up with something that is going to spin that hydro meter off the wall

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

There are two types of electric fireplaces that I have seen. One for looks, the other for heat. Always make sure there is a outlet near or a very heavy duty extension cord into a outlet that can take the 1500 watts of power most of the heat models need. You can get a fancy fireplace with the firely lights a number of places. Right now, they should be on sale.

Always make sure there is a outlet near or a very heavy duty extension cord into a outlet that can take the 1500 watts of power most of the heat models need.

Ideally, you should have a dedicated 20 ampere circuit for an electric heater/fireplace. A 1500w heater will draw 12.5 amperes. That is quite a load for a 15 amp circuit and it may cause the breaker to trip occasionally.

Reactions: FirepotPete
Thanks for the info guys! I think he is wanting it for both looks and some fair heat output. He has a central heating system so not so critical on heat output. This unit would be for their den/sitting room to be mounted beneath his television.

As stated above it should be on a dedicated circuit. If seen the heat even a small electrical heater will pull through a outlet. That is one of the reasons I got rid of all mine.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

My house has a fireplace in the master bedroom that we don't use, I put a DVD player and a flat screen TV in there. I play a DVD of a burning fireplace in the DVD player. It looks very realistic and it makes crackling noises like a fire.

The TV is the same width as the fireplace, I bought the DVD player at Goodwill for $6, the TV cost $120. The electric fireplaces I looked at cost about five hundred dollars. It makes a great nightlight.

We have a friend that is on oxygen and is wanting an electric fireplace. Would anyone have any experience with the different brands of electric fireplaces: Dimplex, Napoleon, Modern Flames etc.? Please post your opinions.

This post may not fit in The Pellet Mill so sorry for this. This is where I normally post for pellet stove issues. I did not see another category that would apply to electric fireplaces but may have overlooked it. Admin please move this thread if needed.

Thanks!

AR

we have diplex fireplace in our sitting room. can't say it can be compared with a real one but my wife likes it. looks good

Welcome to the forums gardenleo62. You will probably get more replies in the fireplace section of the forums.