Electric Motorcycles - Zero in particular

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MongoMongoson

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2021
Wisconsin
Does anyone in the Green Room ride a Zero? I just got a new job, and that's good... The bad news is the 45 min commute. I could make it there and back on a Zero DSR with the Power Tank option in the summer. I ride a KLR650 now, so the DSR seems like a good fit for me.

At the end of the interview for my new job, in the "have any questions for me?" part, I asked if I could plug in an electric motorcycle if I rode it to work. The boss said yes. I had already asked my wife if I could get an electric motorcycle if I got the new job, and that boss said yes as well.

I'm interested in comments or thoughts about the Zero bikes.

Congratulations on the new job. I don't ride one, but I probably would have in my younger days. Be safe out there.

I’ve ridden one and didn’t like it at all. It feels weird. Maybe I would have gotten used to it eventually. But bikes already have pretty good fuel economy.

Never rode any electric motorcycle, only a friends e-bicycle. Would love to try it though. I'm on an Suzuki gr 650 (tempter) 1983.

I’ve ridden one and didn’t like it at all. It feels weird. Maybe I would have gotten used to it eventually
Might just be that bike or its programming. The manufacturer controls the power curve and throttle response along with weight distribution, suspension, etc.

The Zero bikes seem to review well. If I ever get back on two wheels it will probably be an electric dual sport. I'm hoping Ural will do an electric version of the 2wd sidecar bikes.

Never rode any electric motorcycle, only a friends e-bicycle. Would love to try it though. I'm on an Suzuki gr 650 (tempter) 1983.

I also have an '81 Suzuki GS750L... I call it 'Ol Drippy.

I will take a test drive before I consider buying a Zero, so I guess I have some time to think about it.

Reactions: bigealta
The Zero bikes seem to review well. If I ever get back on two wheels it will probably be an electric dual sport. I'm hoping Ural will do an electric version of the 2wd sidecar bikes.
The 2WD sidecar bikes look like an interesting option for winter riding. I will ride the dual sport around the yard in the snow, but I stay off the roads.

The 2WD sidecar bikes look like an interesting option for winter riding. I will ride the dual sport around the yard in the snow, but I stay off the roads.
I have no self control on two wheels and need something very slow if I'm going to get back on the saddle. Even my first bike, a 80-ish Honda CX-500, is probably still too much bike for me. My last bike was a 2015 Yamaha FZ09 with custom suspension and ECU tuning, it would burp blue flames out the Akra pipes on downshifts and engine braking. I'm a bit more grown up now and would like to get something more environmentally responsible if I do go back on two wheels, but also fairly slow. Most of the electric motorcycles on the market right now are super fast, except for some entry level bikes. The Ural would just be too fun for winter riding, going on trips with my wife, etc. It's definitely not fast, but at least they reduced the emissions by finally putting EFI on those old BMW knockoff motors.

That's pretty bad ;lol
I used to ride that bike to its very limit pretty much every ride until I got something faster/more dangerous. 50 HP is still pretty good when the bike is less than 400 lbs! That little CX could scoot if you really pushed it. All of my speeding tickets have been on motorcycles.

Here's an article rating EV motorcycles. The Zero comes in as the best value.

I used to ride that bike to its very limit pretty much every ride until I got something faster/more dangerous. 50 HP is still pretty good when the bike is less than 400 lbs! That little CX could scoot if you really pushed it. All of my speeding tickets have been on motorcycles.
Back in the late 60s I did a trip on a Honda CB-350 down from San Antonio to northern Mexico. It was fine. Later on, I got a used '70 Kawasaki Mach III. It wouldn't outrun a Norton Comando, but it was plenty enough for me. I'm not a big guy. The fellow that bought it from me outweighed me by a good 40 lbs. He did a backflip the first time he gunned it.

Back in the late 60s I did a trip on a Honda CB-350 down from San Antonio to northern Mexico. It was fine. Later on, I got a used '70 Kawasaki Mach III. It wouldn't outrun a Norton Comando, but it was plenty enough for me. I'm not a big guy. The fellow that bought it from me outweighed me by a good 40 lbs. He did a backflip the first time he gunned it.

Well, not much could outrun any Norton, but Kawasaki made some pretty fast bikes. I thought the Yamaha 350 2t was big, that 500cc 2t on that Mach III is nuts! I always wanted a road legal two stroke bike. The first time I rode a two stroke was actually a Yamaha Banshee ATV that had some work done. It lifted the front end in third gear when hitting the power band. A few years later I rode a big KTM 2t dirt bike and it actually scared me. After the CX500 I bought an 04 Honda VFR-800 Interceptor and rode that for several years. In 2015 I got the itch for a faster bike, so I rode a used 2012 Honda VFR 1200, and that was a much faster bike than I realized. I should have known it was in another world when I saw the dual fixed six piston front brake calipers. Leaving the dealer parking lot on a test ride I bit off a bit more throttle than I intended and instead of lifting the front tire I ended up power sliding into the road. I thought my VFR 800 was fast, but that 1200 made 165 HP, which was just unreal to me at the time. My VFR 800 was already pushing 500 lbs, the VFR 1200 heavier still, and I wanted something lighter, so I went with the Yamaha FZ-09 with some aftermarket parts thrown in.

After getting the bike tuned it was putting something like 110 HP to the rear wheel and weighed under 400 lbs wet with a custom suspension (Ohlins in the back, custom valved front cartridges with springs for my weight). In 2016 I rode out to the Tail of the Dragon in western NC/Eastern TN with several friends, some in cars, some on bikes. There's a one way road out in one of the park areas that is used for an actual Hill Climb race through the SCCA. We all went out to the route, which we had to ourselves, and my friends couldn't believe how quickly I disappeared up the mountain on the little Yamaha. One of which is now my wife was actually pretty upset with how fast I went, which is a big part of why I don't have a bike anymore! I'll push any vehicle to the limit on a good road, I'm a pretty good driver and just can't stop myself.

The first time I rode a two stroke was actually a Yamaha Banshee ATV that had some work done. It lifted the front end in third gear when hitting the power band. A few years later I rode a big KTM 2t dirt bike and it actually scared me.
Built Banshee's are fun...bone stock 500cc 2 stroke MX bikes are downright scary if you actually twist the throttle a lil... !!!

Built Banshee's are fun...bone stock 500cc 2 stroke MX bikes are downright scary if you actually twist the throttle a lil... !!!
The owner was like "you barely got on the pipe!" I said "I know!" I wasn't keen on buying an expensive dirt bike at that moment.

No offence but I wouldn't trust the reviews; for one thing they're done by the media, and the media has an agenda. We've all seen the doxing and public humiliations/legal hassles for those that don't think /act/report like the heard.

No offence but I wouldn't trust the reviews; for one thing they're done by the media, and the media has an agenda. We've all seen the doxing and public humiliations/legal hassles for those that don't think /act/report like the heard.
Sure, not every reviews is 100% objective, but there are a lot of relevant data points that can be included in a review, especially of a bike. Suspension harshness, ergonomics, comfort, etc.

What do you mean by "the media"? It's not like CNN is reviewing motorcycles.

Reactions: savageactor7
I feel if you take a ride on a zero you will pretty much immediately know if you like it. It took me about 30 seconds not to want to buy one

I have a Suzuki Bergman 650 which is, like the electric bikes, is an automatic. I love it because it's easy on my arthritic hands and you step threw it like a Vespa. With a little practice you learn to use the throttle like a rheostat and slow down to stop. Zero's can do that too.

I'd love to see a successful electric MC available,

Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha are working together on a swappable battery pack. That's what I would wait for in Emotorcycles.
That is good to know. That is what I feel like we need for the electric cars. Pull into the electron station, swap, and go.

That is good to know. That is what I feel like we need for the electric cars. Pull into the electron station, swap, and go.
This is what NIO is doing in China. It's gaining popularity and the swap is pretty quick, about the same time as a fill-up.

Reactions: semipro