electric pipe heat cord testing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sledhead00

Oct 28, 2012
WNY
So it seems I have a frozen hot water line somewhere in a wall... Last yr I had a dead hot water line burst (was capped off to previous owner hot tub) from an air leak.
Well while tearing out stuff in the kind of attic we found there was a corded heat tape on a pipe but the cord was coiled up in the wall( yea I don't get how it was suppose to work either). So I pulled it out and there was a electric cable there so I wired up an outlet and plugged it in a while back... Well the idiot I am never thought to check that there was actually power through the cable...There isn't...
So I've got an extension cord running from the heat cord out the door to an outlet in the room. I know I have power at the outlet but is there anyway to check that the heat cord is actually working without tearing out the Styrofoam board and stuff back out?

A Kill-a-Watt meter would show the load if you have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.