Electric Splitter Recommendations Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 17, 2020
Western MA
I'm looking for recommendations on what brand and model electric splitter I should consider purchasing. The firewood I get comes already split, but oftentimes the pieces are just too big, unwieldy, or heavy for my wife to deal with if I'm unable to, as is the case now due to an unexpected illness.

As for wood, I'm into a stack of 3-year seasoned red oak (easy) and hickory (hard, stringy) right now, so I'm thinking a 9-ton (max) machine ought to be able to handle it. We burn about 3 cords a year, so a single-split wedge should be sufficient, rather than a four-way.

Is electric even the way to go? Do I really need 9 tons of force or would a 5-ton do the job? What else should I consider? Thanks, everyone!

Reactions: ToastyRanch
If you go electric I wonder about using one of those kinetic splitters. They split like an ax rather than hydraulic. I think I’ve heard they can do a better job than an electric over hydraulic splitter.

The nice thing about an electric splitter would be that you could use it in a garage or shed.
If you hire someone to re-split some of your firewood, how much would it cost?
I was looking around earlier this month and a lot of the splitters are just not available.

If you just need to reduce the size of the splits you are getting, a 5 ton or so should work fine. I bought this one and have split about 7 cord over the last year with it(mostly elm). I have been very satisfied with it.
1638464216637.jpeg

If you just need to reduce the size of the splits you are getting, a 5 ton or so should work fine. I bought this one and have split about 7 cord over the last year with it(mostly elm). I have been very satisfied with it.
View attachment 286878
My back is killing me just looking at that. Does one run that sitting on a milk crate?

I built a stand for it. About waist height with a table area. No back pain here...

I recently got a Swisher 22 ton electric splitter and I love it. It can split horizontal or vertical, and it's made in the US.
IMG_20210925_180516.jpg
IMG_20210925_180747.jpg
It's a beast and has split everything I've run through it so far without a problem.

If you're just resplitting bigger splits, this is probably more machine than you need, but if you plan to use the splitter eventually to split bigger rounds or tough wood, this one won't let you down.

It has a 25' cord and requires an outlet on a 20A breaker to run it. If you need more than the 25' length of the cord, you'll need to use a heavy duty 10 gauge extension cord, like the kind you use for a generator.

It comes wired for 120V but it can be wired for 220V.

Reactions: Gearhead660
I guess a picnic table could work. Anything to get it up to waist height.
My wife could use it... not saying she would. I use mine to split anything I am able to pick up by hand. I have it sitting by my wood shed. Back truck up and split as I fill up the shed.

Reactions: ToastyRanch
I recently got a Swisher 22 ton electric splitter and I love it. It can split horizontal or vertical, and it's made in the US.
View attachment 286909
View attachment 286910
It's a beast and has split everything I've run through it so far without a problem.

If you're just resplitting bigger splits, this is probably more machine than you need, but if you plan to use the splitter eventually to split bigger rounds or tough wood, this one won't let you down.

It has a 25' cord and requires an outlet on a 20A breaker to run it. If you need more than the 25' length of the cord, you'll need to use a heavy duty 10 gauge extension cord, like the kind you use for a generator.

I was considering getting that one when I was looking at electric splitters. Decided to spruce up the gas splitter and just spend a couple hundred on the small one.

I guess a picnic table could work. Anything to get it up to waist height.
My wife could use it... not saying she would. I use mine to split anything I am able to pick up by hand. I have it sitting by my wood shed. Back truck up and split as I fill up the shed.
That’s helpful as is your response to Solarguy. I’m in the starting phase with all things wood burning and trying to figure out the time/space/budget and getting a sense of the various components helps.

That 5 ton splitter pictured by @Gearhead660 is sold by a number of companies under their "brand" name. I bought the exact same splitter from Harbor Freight under their brand name "Central Machinery". Yes! Back breaking if you leave it on the ground which I did in the beginning. Boss sells a stand (Boss Industrial FT3 Log Splitter Stand) that can be bought on Amazon for about $60. The wheels come off the splitter and put on the stand. It is very sturdy and allows you to easier wheel the splitter. Makes my life so much easier now.

81ez8yW3QSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Gearhead660
View attachment 286909
View attachment 286910

What made you spend the extra $1,000 for this versus gas? Your user name may be an indication but figured I'd ask lol. I'm debating what to buy for next year myself. I only need to split 3 more cords or so this year do I'll do that by hand then make a decision.

What made you spend the extra $1,000 for this versus gas? Your user name may be an indication but figured I'd ask lol. I'm debating what to buy for next year myself. I only need to split 3 more cords or so this year do I'll do that by hand then make a decision.

This is actually a really good and valid question, because I wrestled with this decision for almost a year before going with this splitter. Sorry, this is going to be a bit longer post, so the TL;DR croud might not make it all the way through it.

While the price is quite a bit higher vs a gas model in the same size range (20-25 ton) there were several factors that ultimately made me go this route.
1. Noise and fumes. Several years ago when I had a wood furnace in my old house, I bought a cheap, used gas splitter and after a couple hours of using it each time, I was dizzy from the exhaust fumes and my ears were ringing, sometimes even when I wore ear plugs. The electric motor, while it does still make noise, is much less obnoxious than a gas engine ringing in your ears all day. I can even use it without ear plugs, though I'll wear them if I'm going to be using it for more than an hour or two at a time.
2. Gas and oil and all the related issues that come with them. I will not have to do an oil change on this splitter every so many hours. Sure, at some interval I'll need to change the hydraulic oil, but certainly less frequently than engine oil changes. But the biggest motivator here is not having to worry about a carburetor getting gummed up with bad gas, from the ethanol that is in all the gas that's readily available (at least here in MA. Can't get non ethanol gas at any stations). I remember having to pull the starter cord over and over and fiddle with the choke and dump gas in the carb to get that old gas splitter to start. Now, I just push a button and the electric motor springs into action instantly.
3. Supporting American companies and American workers so they will be around to make quality products in the future. This one is a little more complicated, because it's very compelling to spend ~$1,000 less and just get a gas splitter made overseas. Swisher also makes gas splitters, so if you will be splitting your wood somewhere further away from your house or garage and can't plug in an electric one, gas might be the better option for you, but again an American made gas splitter will likely cost more than a cheap one made elsewhere. I guess what it came down to for me was that at some point I feel like we have to invest our money into high quality American made products to keep all the manufacturing from moving overseas, so there will be good jobs for the next generation of Americans here in the US. I was willing to pay more in the end for that.

Also, I knew I was likely going to be doing most or all of my splitting in the area beside my garage which has power easily accessible to plug into. I also have solar panels and have excess net metering credits that I can use to power the electric splitter. Don't have to spend close to or over $4/gallon for premium gas for it.

Thanks to all for what turned out to be a very thorough discussion. As Solarguy mentioned, I will eventually be using an electric splitter to split larger splits, so it does seem like something in the 5-7 ton range would be ideal for that job, keeping in mind that I'll need to get it up off the ground to a more comfortable working height. My back thanks you all in advance for that tip.

This is actually a really good and valid question, because I wrestled with this decision for almost a year before going with this splitter. Sorry, this is going to be a bit longer post, so the TL;DR croud might not make it all the way through it.

While the price is quite a bit higher vs a gas model in the same size range (20-25 ton) there were several factors that ultimately made me go this route.
1. Noise and fumes. Several years ago when I had a wood furnace in my old house, I bought a cheap, used gas splitter and after a couple hours of using it each time, I was dizzy from the exhaust fumes and my ears were ringing, sometimes even when I wore ear plugs. The electric motor, while it does still make noise, is much less obnoxious than a gas engine ringing in your ears all day. I can even use it without ear plugs, though I'll wear them if I'm going to be using it for more than an hour or two at a time.
2. Gas and oil and all the related issues that come with them. I will not have to do an oil change on this splitter every so many hours. Sure, at some interval I'll need to change the hydraulic oil, but certainly less frequently than engine oil changes. But the biggest motivator here is not having to worry about a carburetor getting gummed up with bad gas, from the ethanol that is in all the gas that's readily available (at least here in MA. Can't get non ethanol gas at any stations). I remember having to pull the starter cord over and over and fiddle with the choke and dump gas in the carb to get that old gas splitter to start. Now, I just push a button and the electric motor springs into action instantly.
3. Supporting American companies and American workers so they will be around to make quality products in the future. This one is a little more complicated, because it's very compelling to spend ~$1,000 less and just get a gas splitter made overseas. Swisher also makes gas splitters, so if you will be splitting your wood somewhere further away from your house or garage and can't plug in an electric one, gas might be the better option for you, but again an American made gas splitter will likely cost more than a cheap one made elsewhere. I guess what it came down to for me was that at some point I feel like we have to invest our money into high quality American made products to keep all the manufacturing from moving overseas, so there will be good jobs for the next generation of Americans here in the US. I was willing to pay more in the end for that.

Also, I knew I was likely going to be doing most or all of my splitting in the area beside my garage which has power easily accessible to plug into. I also have solar panels and have excess net metering credits that I can use to power the electric splitter. Don't have to spend close to or over $4/gallon for premium gas for it.
Not sure where in Western MA you are (Northern? Southern? Berkshire Co?), but if you're in the northern part of Western MA, I can tell you where I've found ethanol-free gas if you're interested. Just PM/DM me.

I've also been wondering about this TrueFuel stuff I've been hearing so much about. I saw it at WallyWorld for about $5 per gallon - Not cheap, but driving out of my way to get to an ethanol-free station costs money too, so maybe worth it?

Does anyone have experience using TrueFuel? Does it work well for you? Is it worth it?