Electric truck showdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Out of Spec just uploaded a tow test video with an F150 Lightning, Cybertruck, Silverado EV, and Rivian R1T. All were towing uhaul car trailers with a Model 3. They added weights to make each trailer/car equal. They drove ~500 miles from Denver, Colorado to Grand Junction, Colorado and back to Denver. In the test, they went over the Rocky Mountains twice.

Silverado EV - 1st. 1 Stop. 1.3mi/kwh
R1T - 2nd. 4 Stops. ~1.3mi/kwh*
F150 - 3rd. 4 Stops. ~1.3mi/kwh*
Cybertruck - 4th. 5 Stops. ~1.3mi/kwh*

The Silverado made the 500 mile drive over the Rockies twice with only one charging stop! A big battery really makes the difference. The single stop for the Silverado was about what an ICE version would do. The others had to stop 4 times (the Cybertruck likely could have made 4 stops work). The Silverado finished about 4 hours ahead of the rest. The Silverado EV looks to be the truck to beat and could be a practical tow vehicle. It should be noted that the Cybertruck was hampered by a design flaw that force the driver to use an L2 charger at one stop. It sounds like the adapter to use the Electrify America CCS charger won't clear the charger port on the CT.

Note this is a 2+ hr video:

Shorter podcast review here:

Why charge a Telsa at EA???? My take away is the mileage is all the same. Buy the biggest battery you can afford. Dont charge your Tesla at EA stations.

How many Silverado EV have been sold? I’m not convinced the currently available version will go into mass production.

Why charge a Telsa at EA???? My take away is the mileage is all the same. Buy the biggest battery you can afford. Dont charge your Tesla at EA stations.

How many Silverado EV have been sold? I’m not convinced the currently available version will go into mass production.
Maybe that one was closest to "empty battery point"? (Maybe charging points out there are far farther apart than on the coast...)
To compare trucks it's useful to not have to charge when you're only halfway empty but to go as empty as possible to minimize stops.

It’s not like they didn’t have options.

IMG_9973.png

Reactions: stoveliker
Silverado 200kwh. That’s a huge battery. Super fast charging is the future. Not giant batteries. Once the Tesla semi infrastructure is in place with its gigawatt charging towing with an EV might make sense.

I'd say towing with the Silverado already makes sense. No more stops than with an ICE is precisely the reference frame for what folks think makes sense.

If they can prevent more tire wear, I'd be okay with big batteries over more frequent stops with quick charges. (I already don't like the female half of our household needing bathroom breaks 2 to 3 times as often as I do when we're driving to TN...)

I was pushing my friend to hold off for the Silverado but he bought the Lightning.

Silverado 200kwh. That’s a huge battery. Super fast charging is the future. Not giant batteries. Once the Tesla semi infrastructure is in place with its gigawatt charging towing with an EV might make sense.

For towing you need a big battery, there's just such high loses in trying to pull that much power from a 100kwh battery.

1 stop vs 4 or 5 is a huge difference in battery discharge efficiency.

I think you'll see OEMs sell multiple sizes of battery packs in the pickups, much like you see them sell multiple engine configurations now.

Now GM just has to make and sell Silverados at scale. :rolleyes:

Reactions: begreen

That was the best charge point on the route for many. The Tesla driver may have erred in judgement. Easier to say in hindsight.

Reactions: EbS-P
I agree that chargers should be a greater priority than big batteries. Most people don’t tow, especially trailers that heavy.

I think that Silverado equaled what my Ram 1500 would do. 10mpg towing is about what I’d expect. My old v10 F250 would have gotten the same.

I wonder how much the increased battery weight affects vehicle ratings. I’d assume they want to keep it under 10,000lbs. I’m not sure what the engine replacement with associated motor and large battery would do to the payload. It’s possible to make the truck bed, well, useless if the vehicle creeps up too close to 10k lbs.

For towing you need a big battery, there's just such high loses in trying to pull that much power from a 100kwh battery.

1 stop vs 4 or 5 is a huge difference in battery discharge efficiency.

I think you'll see OEMs sell multiple sizes of battery packs in the pickups, much like you see them sell multiple engine configurations now.
They all have the same mileage. 1.3 kWh/mile But the 500 miles trip only took the Silverado one stop so 385 kWh. That means they had to utilize 96%of the 200 kWh battery. If you had a 350kw charger will the bigger battery charge faster (miles/minute) than the smaller ones? I think it would but I haven’t seen any charge curves for GMs huge packs.

The cost of a 200kwh pack for the extra range for the average vacationer just won’t be worth it. If you’re towing regularly maybe. But then why a BEV? They have proven a point it’s possible. Point was proven when the model X came out in 2016 and could tow 5000 pounds 100 miles on a charge. Now we just make the trucks and trailers bigger and stuff bigger batteries in. Tesla semi has electric towing figured out.

Fast charging is here. Battery tech needs to catch up. If one could sustain more than 200kw to 80% charge ICEs are goners.

Stumbled on this hilarious review tonight.

• Haha