Empress insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markkm

Nov 30, 2010
Eastern Canada
I have a empress insert that won't run on low. I had a programmable thermostat hooked up to it, and set to on/off setting. The way it is supposed to work when the thermostat doesn't call for heat it will go down to #1 and stay there for 30 min then shut off. the problem is mine goes out before it gets to 30 min even if I set in on manual mode and turn it down to #1 it will go out. Fills the pot with pellets then shuts off. This is the second stove that is doing this the first one did the same thing. After working with the dealer for a year on the first on. I finally got them to put a new one in but it does the same thing maybe worse. I have even seen it do it on #2 setting on this one. Anyone else having this problem or heard of anyone?? It seems like they don't want anything to do with me now. Help Please.

Mark

Well, I've only owned my Empress insert for about two weeks, but I can give you some input.

I have found my stove, on a setting of two, with a burnpot full of unburnt pellets. This is normally because the hopper is near empty. The feed rate of pellets goes down because even though there are plenty of pellets in the hopper, they are stuck to the walls and aren't sliding down. So, I didn't have enough fuel feeding the fire, the fire went down and out but pellets were still being fed. I get around this by keeping the hopper full (unfortunately the hopper barely holds a bag).

With that said, I assume your hopper is full.

Since they replaced your entire unit, I'll also assume you aren't have issues with any of the parts.

So, I am still a newbie at this whole pellet stove thing, but I'd guess the problem is external to the stove. Have you tried different pellets? The pellets you have might have moisture issues or other problems that might make them less than idea?

Have you given your exhaust system a good cleaning? If its clogged up, that could starve the fire of oxygen.

I'm assuming a professional would have checked all this stuff, so I'm grasping at straws. As a fellow Empress FPI owner, I felt obligated to at least try to help. ;)

Welcome Mark,

I am leaning towards too much draft air. When the dealer set up the stove did they use a magnahelic gauge to check the draft reading? 2 stoves same issue seems more setup then a machine problem. Well as long as the stove is squeaky clean anyway! But burning out the pellets, With newly fed pellets smothering is usually too much draft air flow.

I'd push the damper in and try it again. Push it in until the flame gets lazy. Then pull it out until they just start dancing. Set it in the medium setting.

Yes they did set it up with a magnahelic gauge. I also tried the old one with the damper closed all the way, and 2 different mother boards. I burn Eastern embers pellets they are supposedly the best premium ones I can get. The tecs say to much draft also but cutting it back doesn't help. Y would the draft be different on mine it's in a bungalow. Must be lots out there the same as mine. As for the hopper being full I fill it at night and that's when it goes out the most.

Hi Mark, I have an empress and if you have too much air on low you will eventually blow out the fire and then fill the burn pot with pellets. With a t-stat hooked up to the stove it can be a problem if you are running a higher setting with a little more air and then the stove switches to low because the stat isn't calling for heat any longer. Now you have less fuel with the same air as the higher setting, it can be a problem at times, really depends on the pellets too. Lousy pellets and my stove can go out on low. I would try a different pellet, buy a couple of bags and try them out. I have not tried the eastern ember pellets you have so I don't know on those. Try running your stove on manual, a setting of 2-3 and your air adjustment to get the fire just a bit past the lazy stage. Hard to explain, easier to see. There are some pictures in the manual. On manual at that setting your stove should run till the hopper is empty. Also, I just thought of this, in the firebox on the left are 2-5/16" head screws that hold a metal strip to the side. Take that out and remove the plate from that side. On the bottom is the combustion air slide door. When you move the air adjustment handle that door should slide back and forth. If it doesn't thats not good. It does not close completely. There is still a gap that I am guessing is about 3/8" when the air adjustment handle is all the way to the left. Make sure the adjustment handle is connected to that slider door. You will end up taking all those back plates off when doing a decent cleaning. Ash piles up in the back corners after awhile. Hey I hope any of this info is helpful. Good luck---------

I convinced them to come and take it out and give me my money back, well most of it back. The dealer gave up said they can't fix it. If your from PEI don't ever buy anything from Corrigan's Stove Centre they can't fix pellet stoves. Anybody out there have any suggestions what kind of insert I should get.

Status
Not open for further replies.