Enamel v. Paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSTeach06

Oct 3, 2016
West Virginia
I just bought an Jotul Oslo F 500 with blue black enamel. It just got installed and it looks like matte black to me. I thought the enamel would be a little shiny because that is how it looks in pictures. At the store they only had matte black so I don't actually know what it looks like in person. Can someone let me know how to tell the difference? Thank you!!

Here is a picture. Sorry I didn't upload before.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 454
Maybe stop in to see if there is a difference with the matte black at the stove shop... sheen may only be noticeable in strong direct light or flash from a camera.

Reactions: SSTeach06
Yes, that looks like the correct enamel. The blue-black enamel is my favorite finish. It does not have the shiny clear porcelain glaze overcoating. This gives it a softer, satin finish which is easy to clean and really grows on you. With an annual cleaning it will look as great 10 years from now as it does new. I think it makes it a bit tougher too. The color will change with the lighting. In sunlight the blue shows best, but at night with warm interior lighting is can appear almost black. The matte black paint is clearly different. Maybe @firefighterjake can post a shot of that finish.

Yes, that looks like the correct enamel. The blue-black enamel is my favorite finish. It does not have the shiny clear porcelain glaze overcoating. This gives it a softer, satin finish which is easy to clean and really grows on you. With an annual cleaning it will look as great 10 years from now as it does new. I think it makes it a bit tougher too. The color will change with the lighting. In sunlight the blue shows best, but at night with warm interior lighting is can appear almost black. The matte black paint is clearly different. Maybe @firefighterjake can post a shot of that finish.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Here is a shot of our F3CB and Castine (now sold) with the blue-black enamel.

3CB_web.jpg castine_fire_web.jpg

Reactions: SSTeach06
Hi SS- Beautiful stove! She looks just like she should, has a "satin glow" appearance and is definitely porcelain baked on. The chromed handles are also standard on the enamel finished Jotuls. Ten years from now, she will look just that way- but careful it can be chipped with something heavy and metallic. I too agree with BG that BBE is Jotul's best enamel finish even though it technically costs less than the glossy finishes of the other enamel finishes (Ivory and Brown Majolica). Enjoy your new stove, do the break in fires and be warm this winter. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.