Energy Audit Tomorrow.............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am having a free energy audit tomorrow provided by my Electricity Company.

Anything specific I should ask or look for?

Specific questions I should ask?

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Make sure your woodstove is dead cold, and get a blower door test. You should take your own notes on what they say during the audit.

Make sure your woodstove is dead cold, and get a blower door test. You should take your own notes on what they say during the audit.

I shut the stove down last night at 6PM. It is dead cold right now. I will also remove all the ashes to make sure they are no hot coals left.

Good idea in taking my own notes.

my guy to 2 mos to write a report.

Wintertime should be good for the IR scan I would think. How about making sure the house is warm?

my guy to 2 mos to write a report.

Two months that is a long time. I hope the auditor gives me enough information today so I can start taking action this winter. I guess we will see soon enough. I will you guys posted

i had one done on my house about 5 years ago. house wa built about 5 years before that. made me cry to see all the cold spots that are 1,000x harder and more expensive to seal up and address now than during the building process. on his reccomendation, i sealed and sprayfoamed my crawl. that was the big project. i have limited attic access, but sealing all my top plates was on his list as well with caulk. i plan to do that soon and add some insulation on top of that.

i want to build a new house. correctly.

The auditor just left. The report will follow hopefully in the days to come. I was surprise at how many leaks I found during the blower door test. Consultation the electrical company is paying for the repairs plus they are paying for a more efficient water heater (heat pump kind) and a new fridge. So I cannot complain,

GPU / Penelec?

How do you go about rigging that deal?

The auditor just left. The report will follow hopefully in the days to come. I was surprise at how many leaks I found during the blower door test. Consultation the electrical company is paying for the repairs plus they are paying for a more efficient water heater (heat pump kind) and a new fridge. So I cannot complain,

Sweet deal. My audit work cost me $6k....but they gave me 0% 10yr financing.

Status
Not open for further replies.