Englander 1500, Windows and Selkirk Direct-Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Petal

Jan 29, 2019
Missouri
Hello all,

Please help us figure out how we can safely install an Englander 1500 pellet stove in our home.

The instruction manual on the Englander says the vent has to be 4' from any window that opens. We're in an old farmhouse with windows everywhere. There is nowhere in our living space that we could place it and still be in compliance.

After an extensive search on this forum, we read about Selkirk Direct-Temp venting systems, so we looked into that and if we understand it correctly this means that we could install the vent 9" from an opening window. We have an exterior wall that has 4' of wall between two windows and that is about the best place we could put this stove.

If we used the Selkirk Direct-Temp 4x6-5/8" Straight Out Horizontal Termination Kit, would that be okay and safe? I also read that a straight out is not the best for pellet stoves?

Please help, thank you.

I would contact your local code enforcement person and see what they say. Most go by manufacturers recommended installation.you may be able to render the windows inoperable and be within code.

Reactions: Petal
Okay, thank you. We are rural MO, and as far as I can tell we have no code enforcement, but I'm waiting on confirmation on that. After a lot of searching, we're considering going with the Pelpro PP130 instead of the Englander. It only needs 12" to the windows, so that will work out better :)

Now just to try figure everything else out, this will be our first pellet stove ever.

No,even the pelpro needs 4 foot,except above the window,same as the england's stove.Also,people forget,the hole in the wall can be close to a window,as long as it does not end just outside,you can put a T on it,and go vertical at least 12" above window.

Reactions: Petal and Tails1
Okay, thank you. Still trying to muddle through all of this. The manual on Pelpro's site for the PP130 says it can be installed 12" from a window, but the Pelpro manuals for the same stove from the big box stores say 48". I'm so confused.

We want to do the through the wall with a vertical rise and then also put in the outside air kit. Is it better to have the vertical pipe inside or outside of the house? The Selkirk L type pellet kit puts the vertical pipe outside of the house. The vent would go between the bay window and the window on the right. All south facing.

Oh, also I got word back - no code enforcement for our rural area.

Attachments

• IMG-20190129-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190129-WA0001.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 188