Englander 25-pdv combustion motor question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jwoot

Nov 17, 2009
East Coast
Hello,

I recently happened upon a opportunity to get a Englander 25-pdv pellet stove for free. They mentioned that either the combustion motor or vacuum switch was probably bad, As it turns out I happen to own the same model and have some spare parts for testing and such.

While troubleshooting, I put this stove into diagnostics mode and I was able to successfully test the room blower and two auger motors (vacuum sensor had to be jumped for top auger). The issue I am running into is with the combustion motor.

When I try to power up the combustion motor it just gives a humming sound...so I figure ok maybe it is bad. I put another known good combustion motor on and get the same thing. As another test...I pull both combustion motors and try in my good stove and they both spin up just fine.

Any thoughts to what would cause this behavior or further troubleshooting steps? I think I will put a meter on this in the morning to check voltages but otherwise I can only think that this is a problem with the control board. I've seen them in the past but nothing quite like this.

Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.