Englander 25-PDVC,55-shp10 run for quite a while and then no pellets coming down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ejett9999

Jan 4, 2020
Mass.
This is a 11/04 Mfg. date ... It was running fine for the start of winter. I am in central Mass. Then I would wake up and find it out with box overflowing with pellets unburnt. From watching it it looks like the top auger was stopping too long. Then the coals would go out and then it started feeding again and pump in un burnt pellets all through the shutdown. I have put in a top auger cleaned the vac hole in firebox, (And cleaned the other hole at the combustion blower) tried jumping the top auger vac switch, This morning I changed the control panel. I'm still in the same boat. It was cleaned good at end of last year. Thanks for looking.

welcome Ejett9999 . how is the exhaust venting configured? How many bags have you burned so far this season? Have you checked the ends of the vac hoses that go to the switches, firebox, combustion chamber?

Reactions: BackDoc
Also check the collar on your top auger. I have a 2004 Englander as well and I have had to tighten the Allen bolts on the top auger collar twice.

I have run 1 3/4 ton so far this year . Last year I changed the combustion motor so all that should be clean. I have 5' vert. flu. and 2' through the wall, 3' I.D. S.S. double wall all cleaned end of last year. (Will check again) Yes, changed vac. lines and cleaned the little holes at firebox and combustion blower. It seems like "Something" is holding off just long enough for pot to go out then keeps running.
Thanks for any in put, don't know where else to look.

Could it also be a hopper Bridging issue where it enters the top auger? Did you get a new shipment of pellets or different skid ?

I'v been using the same pellets for years. New England premium wood pellets. They have always been good pellets. I think that has happened in the past, but maybe once or twice a winter. I was wondering if it is a over heat. Will over heat give E code ? Thanks for input.

Something else to try is clean the convection blower. When they get dirty they slow down and do not circulate the air around the stove like it is supposed to do and the stove over heats. I have to clean my blower on my PDV at least twice a season. It really does not take much dust on the Finns to slow the squirrel cage down. To clean it you must remove the whole blower assembly from the stove. It’s 4 screws and 2 wires. And blow it out with compressed air or brush it off with a brush.

Reactions: Ssyko
1.75 ton, I would have to start with another really good cleaning (should be done every ton). i think its choking/starving for air. think of it like this. stove starts up and is burning. Ash is floating around in back of the firewall through the combustion blower and trying to go out the vent but can't so you loose vacuum and stove goes into shutdown/error. as it cools down the floating ash now settles down and with the stove still looking for fire it starts feeding agian. englander has never had a strong combustion blower and it seams to be the biggest downfall of the stove. Give the stove a leaf blower cleaning and see how that works. if not let us know and we will do some more troubleshooting.

Reactions: johneh