englander 25pdv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treed

Jan 26, 2010
Southern pa
Is this a good stove, I was looking at a couple different brands and came across Lowes selling this stove for half of the price on other brands. It says it does 2200sq ft, how many btus is it. I have a open floor layout log home around 2000 sq ft. It will go in great room which is open to kitchen, dining, and living room's, and 22ft cielings to an all open loft. Would this stove do the job. For the price I want to make sure the cheaper price is worth it as far as quality.

Travis

Just remember the 2200 sq ft is for a fully insulated home, insulated doors and windows. I went oversize and run it on medium all the time on thermostat.

my log home is fairly tight there is no air leakage, chinking between all logs, right now heat pump has no problem keeping up here in PA, just looking at something alittle different. Even though the temp in house is fine, my wife does not like the cooler air blowing from registers.

Treed, remember that ALL stove manufacturers give specs that are "optimal".....the absolute best the stove can do in ideal lab test conditions ,etc, etc.

In real life, I'd knock off 10-15% from what any company claims on either BTU output, or Sq. ft capabilities. Your better off getting a stove a litle larger than you think, and being able to run it at a lower setting. Plus, if you do get a really cold spell, you have the extra capacity to make up for that.

25 PDV is a proven stove, just a matter of whether or not you think it will do the job in your situation. Sounds like the open floor plan, plus the loft & high ceilings are going to allow a lot of heat to go up....may not keep ground level warm enough.

Remember, the pellet stove is a "room heater", whereas your heat pump provides heat directly to all rooms.

just my 2 cents.

You should run a heat loss calculation on your house then use that information to figure out how many BTUs/hr you'll need to maintain your preferred temperature on the coldest day in your area.

That figure becomes the net BTUs/hour you need to get from your heating system.

Divide that by the efficiency of the candidate replacement.

This is the gross BTUs/hour and that is what the devices generally tout in their sales information.

This figure should be increased by about 10% to 15% to allow wiggle room for record conditions and other unforeseen issues.

Forget all about the square foot figures.

You can also back into the numbers if you know your current heating systems rating and efficiency.

You need to take into account servicing the stove, this is a far more important aspect than most people understand or even look at.

2K sq ft , open concept? if adequately insulated it should be up to it , provided the open loft doesnt turn into an oven and the heat doesnt get into the "under the loft" areas as its all going upstairs.

as for BTU's , most advertisings show "input" ratings bottom line is this regardless of stove. a pound of wood (or pellets as pellets are wood) has approx. 8500 BtU of "stored potential" now most pellet stoves run a minimum of 78% efficient, that adds up to 6630 BTU "output" now figuring that into LBS/HR if you burn 1 LB/HR you are enjoying 6630 BTU's into your house the 25-PDV will burn up to about 5 lbs an hour on high thats 33150 BTU output. believe it or not , thats actually a bunch of heat, 4 times what i need to keep my 1250 SQ FT ranch heated. (for the record this morning we set a record low of 1 degree F and the house was 74 F when i walked out in the living room and looked at the stat) im "moderately" insulated.

when shopping for a stove ask specifically what the unit will feed top end , and subtract 20% from 8500 and you will get the base output (i say 80% rather than 78 just to make the math easier)

bottom line , if you are decent to well insulated you should be able to heat the house with that stove

BTW in my opinion , its a heck of a stove, but i build them for a living , so i will stand back now and let the "resident owners" tell you what they think of my product

Thanks for input, my heat pump is 28,000 btus without resistance heat and seems to do ok at heating my house, electric heat doesn't run that much accept below about 15 deg. I'm an hvac guy by trade. I have two cieling fans in great room to push air back down so it's not really hot upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.